By Colin Packham SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australian authorities are investigating claims by Islamic State that an Australian teenage recruit died after blowing himself up in Iraq, and local media reported that bomb-making materials had been found at his family home in Melbourne. A blog post believed to be written by 18-year-old Jake Bilardi, written under his pseudonym Abu Abdullah al-Australi, revealed how he had considered carrying out attacks on home soil. Foreign Minister Julie Bishop told reporters on Thursday that security agencies were trying to verify reports that Bilardi had carried out a suicide attack in the Iraqi city of Ramadi. Islamic State released an image on Wednesday claiming to show him getting ready to carry out the attack, as well as images of what appeared to be an explosion. Iraqi officials said 13 vehicles attacked army positions in Ramadi, the capital of Anbar province. No details on casualties were given. The Australian Broadcasting Corporation reported on Thursday that Bilardi had left materials for improvised explosive devices at his family home before going to Syria. Bishop said she did not want to comment on whether Bilardi was involved in planning an attack in Australia. "These are matters we are currently seeking to confirm, and once I've had a briefing from our agencies on these issues, I will make a comment on it," she told reporters. In a blog post purportedly written from Anbar in January, Bilardi said he tried to make contact with Islamic State but fearing possible attempts by the "increasingly-intrusive" Australian authorities to prevent his exit he drew up a "Plan B". "This plan involved launching a string of bombings across Melbourne, targeting foreign consulates and political/military targets as well as grenade and knife attacks on shopping centers and cafes and culminating with myself detonating a belt of explosives amongst the kuffar," the blog read, using a derogatory term for non-Muslims. He gave up the plan, fearing it would be thwarted by the police, according to the blog. Australian Federal Police said they were aware of the blog but declined to comment on its authenticity. Australian security forces believe 90 citizens are fighting alongside Islamic State, and 20 Australians are understood to have died. Australia is on high alert for attacks by radicalized Muslims or home-grown militants returning from fighting in the Middle East. In December, two hostages and a radical self-styled sheikh who had sought to align himself with Islamic State were killed in a Sydney hostage siege. (Additional reporting by Swati Pandey; Editing by Jeremy Laurence)
Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting
Reese Witherspoon Revealed "Legally Blonde" Wasn't Allowed To Film At Stanford University After Learning The School Made An Exception For Another Project
"This is major!"View Entire Post ›
- The Daily Beast
DANIEL SLIM/AFP via Getty ImagesTwo foreign female tourists were caught in a crossfire between rival crime groups and shot to death last Thursday in the high-end resort town of Tulum, Mexico. Three other people were also wounded when the firefight broke out in the popular restaurant, La Malquerida, not far from the beach. Of the two women who were killed, one was from Germany and the other India.“They were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, and got caught in an exchange of gunfire betwee
- Lexington Herald-Leader
Linda Blackford: Schools are so confusing these days. Books about the civil rights movement, no. Lap dances with administrators, yes!
- Yahoo Life
Tara Reid responds to body shamers who accuse her of being 'so thin': 'Please don't be one of those people'
Tara Reid and her friend Taryn Manning shut down body shamers who accused Reid of being too thin.
- Yahoo Sports
The Lakers had a 26-point lead against the 0-4 Thunder. They lost.
- ProFootball Talk on NBC Sports
Although Raiders coach Jon Gruden technically resigned, the resignation undoubtedly came under threat of termination, if he didn’t choose to leave voluntarily. Unresolved when he abruptly walked away was the balance of his reported 10-year, $100 million contract. Via Vic Tafur of TheAthletic.com, owner Mark Davis said Wednesday that a settlement has been reached. Gruden [more]
As her first granddaughter, Princess Charlotte is set to inherit one of Princess Diana's most famous, iconic and coveted heirlooms.
Bill Hemmer and Dana Perino dropped a real whopper this week.
- Miami Herald
The man had one-off roles on the shows.
Donald Trump's "letter to the editor" was crammed full of nonsense, but the newspaper published it anyway,
Jada Pinkett Smith is getting real about her sex life with husband Will Smith. It’s a topic a lot of couples might relate to about keeping things spicy in the bedroom after many years together — and the expectations we place on a partner when it comes to our wants and desires. Jada had Gwyneth […]
- Washington Examiner
A Kentucky high school is under investigation after photos of male students in lingerie giving faculty lap dances were posted to the school's official Facebook page.
- Yahoo Sports Canada
Joel Quenneville shouldn't have been anywhere near the Panthers' bench on Wednesday.
The newly-announced SKIMS x Fendi ready-to-wear collection launches on Nov. 9
- Madame Noire
Especially as they voyage back home, we wish the Arby family the best.
The tabloid slammed Donald Trump’s eldest son for topping “sick GOP” taunts of Alec Baldwin following the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins.
Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney of New York tried to goad the former president in an MSNBC interview.
NASCAR fined crew chief Adam Stevens $20,000 and suspended him from Sunday’s Cup Series race at Martinsville Speedway (2 p.m. ET, NBC) when the No. 20 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota was found with two lug nuts not safe and secure after the playoff race at Kansas Speedway. Stevens was one of two crew chiefs suspended […]
Harry Is in ‘Panic Mode’ Over the Queen’s Health—He Still ‘Feels Guilty’ He Never Said Bye to Philip
Harry would "never forgive himself" if the same thing happened with his grandmother.
- Women's Health
The 42-year-old actress stripped down to her underwear for breast cancer research—and she is looking extra toned! Kate swears by Pilates and Peloton Tread.