By Maayan Lubell JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israel confirmed on Thursday it was planning to appropriate a large tract of fertile land in the occupied West Bank, close to Jordan, a move likely to exacerbate tensions with Western allies and already drawing international condemnation. In an email sent to Reuters, COGAT, a unit of Israel's Defence Ministry, said the political decision to seize the territory had been taken and "the lands are in the final stages of being declared state lands". The appropriation, covers 154 hectares (380 acres) in the Jordan Valley close to Jericho, an area where Israel already has many settlement farms built on land Palestinians seek for a state. It is the largest land seizure since August 2014. U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon denounced the move and Palestinian officials said they would push for a resolution at the United Nations against Israel's settlement policies. "Settlement activities are a violation of international law and run counter to the public pronouncements of the government of Israel supporting a two-state solution to the conflict," Ban said in a statement. The land, in an area fully under Israeli civilian and military control and already used by Jewish settlers to farm dates, is situated near the northern tip of the Dead Sea. Palestinian officials denounced the seizure. "Israel is stealing land specially in the Jordan Valley under the pretext it wants to annex it," Hanan Ashrawi, a senior member of the Palestine Liberation Organization, told Reuters. "This should be a reason for a real and effective intervention by the international community to end such a flagrant and grave aggression which kills all chances of peace." The United States, whose ambassador angered Israel this week with criticism of its West Bank policy, said it was strongly opposed to any moves that accelerate settlement expansion. "We believe they're fundamentally incompatible with a two-state solution and call into question, frankly, the Israeli government's commitment to a two-state solution," Deputy State Department spokesman Mark Toner said on Wednesday. In a development likely to further upset Europe, Israeli forces demolished six structures in the West Bank funded by the EU's humanitarian arm. The structures were dwellings and latrines for Bedouins living in an area known as E1 - a particularly sensitive zone between Jerusalem and the Dead Sea. Israel has not built settlements in E1, with construction considered a "red line" by the United States and the EU. It could potentially split the West Bank, cutting Palestinians off from East Jerusalem, which they seek for their capital. "This is the third time they demolished my house and every time I rebuilt it, this time also I will rebuild it and I am not leaving here. If we leave they will turn the place into a closed military zone," said Saleem Jahaleen, whose home was razed. RISING TENSION Israeli officals did not respond to requests for comment on the demolitions. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said last week the EU was building illegally in the area. "They're building without authorization, against the accepted rules, and there’s a clear attempt to create political realities," he told the foreign media. Netanyahu was scheduled to address the World Economic Forum in Davos on Thursday. He met U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry there but it was not clear if the issue was raised. The Palestinians want to establish an independent state in the West Bank, Gaza and East Jerusalem, areas Israel captured in the 1967 Middle East War. There are now about 550,000 Jewish settlers living in the West Bank and East Jerusalem combined, according to Israeli government and think-tank statistics. About 350,000 Palestinians live in East Jerusalem and 2.7 million in West Bank. Israel is hoping that in any final agreement with the Palestinians it will be able to keep large settlement blocs including in the Jordan Valley, both for security and agricultural purposes. The Palestinians are adamantly opposed. The last round of peace talks broke down in April 2014 and Israeli-Palestinian violence has surged in recent months. Since the start of October, Palestinian stabbings, car-rammings and shootings have killed 25 Israelis and a U.S. citizen. In the same period, at least 148 Palestinians have been killed, 94 of whom Israel has described as assailants. Israeli Interior Minister Aryeh Deri said on Thursday he had revoked the residency rights of four Jerusalem Palestinians involved in two fatal attacks on Israelis, one in September and one in October, a spokeswoman said. The measure, described as rare, was meant to deter others from carrying out attacks, Deri said in a statement. (Reporting by Maayan Lubell, Luke Baker, Ali Sawafta; Nidal al-Mughrabi; editing by Luke Baker and Angus MacSwan)
- Palm Beach Daily News
Forecasters said there is significant uncertainty with the storm's track, with models suggesting landfalls in the Panhandle on the state's west coast.
- Fox Weather
Did you recently move to Florida, and now you’re feeling a bit unsure about your recent relocation with Tropical Storm Ian expected to impact the state this week? Tropical systems impacting the Sunshine State are a part of life here.
- The Daily Beast
Hannah McKay - WPA Pool/Getty ImagesPrince Harry was so unhappy with his life as a working royal that Meghan’s work in helping him find an escape route should be recognized, a source has said.In his new book, Courtiers: The Hidden Power Behind the Crown, which is being serialized by The Times of London, Valentine Low cites “a surprising source—someone who knows Harry well but remains upset about what Harry and Meghan did”—as saying: “There is a part of me that thinks Meghan did Harry the greates
Meghan Markle threatened to break up with Prince Harry if he didn't release a statement confirming their relationship, according to a new book
According to a new book by Valentine Low that is slated to be released in October, Harry was "freaking out" about the situation.
A former palace insider said Meghan Markle believed she would be 'the Beyoncé of the UK,' new book claims
The claim was made by a former palace insider in Valentine Low's upcoming book, "Courtiers: The Hidden Power Behind the Crown."
- Fox News
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle reunited with the royal family for Queen Elizabeth II’s funeral. But royal expert Neil Sean says the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's future with the royal family remains uncertain.
Trump has called several GOP donors who contributed money to Ron DeSantis asking them to stop boosting the Florida governor: report
Former President Trump has tracked appearances made by DeSantis, while also monitoring the governor's poll numbers, per The Washington Post.
- The Daily Beast
Chris Jackson/Getty ImagesWelcome to this week’s edition of Royalist, The Daily Beast’s newsletter for all things royal and Royal Family. Subscribe here to get it in your inbox every Sunday.Meghan, the “narcissistic sociopath”Things got so bad between Prince Harry, Meghan Markle and their royal staff that they called her a “narcissistic sociopath.” They also reportedly said on repeated occasions: “We were played.”The fresh revelations are contained in the second extract from the London Times roy
King Charles III Is Reportedly Planning To Do a Drastic Choice That May Cut Ties Altogether With Prince Harry & Meghan Markle
It’s no secret that the relationship between Prince Harry and Meghan Markle and the rest of the British Royal family has been, erm, strained, to put it delicately. It seems that royal fans are learning new information left and right on what is going on between the years-long rift, with everyone itching to know when […]
- The Daily Beast
Photo Illustration by Thomas Levinson/The Daily Beast/GettyFormer President Donald Trump has learned time and again that the best way to kill legal action is to first delay it. And while Trump’s “special master” gambit initially showed promise in that regard, the tactic may have actually backfired and put him on a fast-track collision course with the federal government he once led.Two separate court decisions last week have empowered the FBI to move swiftly in its investigation against Trump for
- The Daily Beast
Kelly Cestari/GettyLegendary former pro-surfer Chris Davidson is believed to be the victim of a lethal attack in a country bar in New South Wales, Australia. Davidson was reportedly punched in the face outside of South West Rocks Country Club in South West Rocks on Saturday around 11 p.m., causing Davidson to fall and hit his head on the pavement. He was treated by paramedics before being rushed to Kempsey Hospital where he died of his injuries, according to police. He was 45 years old. It is un
- Fox News
King Charles first 'major test': Punish or protect Harry by snubbing his and Meghan Markle's kids, expert says
King Charles III has a decision to make regarding the children of his son Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. No definitive statement has been given regarding their use of prince and princess.
Prince William and Kate Middleton realized they needed to 'up their game' after Meghan Markle's first royal engagement, according to a new book
According to Katie Nicholl's book "The New Royals," the Fab Four's relationship transitioned after Meghan Markle's first royal engagement in 2018.
Trump's claim he could declassify files with his mind doesn't "demonstrate much intelligence of any kind," the lawmaker said.
- ProFootball Talk on NBC Sports
Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers hinted after Sunday’s win over the Buccaneers that the big screen in the Bucs’ stadium showed the Packers something that gave them some key insight in the game’s final moments. After the game, Fox sideline reporter Tom Rinaldi asked Rodgers why he was talking to head coach Matt LaFleur as the [more]
Sources claim Udoka's long-time partner knows the identity of the female staffer. The alleged mistress was reportedly involved in Long's move to Boston.
Tropical Storm Ian is expected to be a major hurricane and could impact Florida by next week.
- Roll Tide Wire
A wild Week 4 of college football leads to some big-time changes to the USA TODAY Coaches Poll!
- The Hill
Former top Pence aide: Trump claim that presidents can declassify docs by thinking about it ‘absurd’
Former top Pence aide Marc Short on Friday rejected a recent claim from former President Trump that presidents can declassify documents by thinking about it, calling the notion “absurd.” “That’s absurd, obviously,” Short told CBS News. “I think it would make it very difficult for the intelligence community to have a classification system if that was…
- Yahoo Sports
Aaron Rodgers takes credit for failed Bucs 2-point conversion, puts Tampa video board operator on blast
"Sometimes the Jumbotron shows things they probably shouldn't show, even at home."