Israeli army reinforces in West Bank after shooting
STORY: Two people have been injured in a suspected shooting by a Palestinian gunman around Jerusalem’s Old City on Saturday morning, in what a police spokesperson has described as a "terrorist attack."
The shooting took place less than a day after the separate incident in which a Palestinian gunman shot dead seven near a synagogue on the outskirts of the city.
In response, Israel's military said it was boosting its forces in the occupied West Bank.
56-year-old Shimon Israel saw his neighbours killed in the attack.
He says his neighbour ran to the scene to help, before being gunned down. The man’s wife was also shot in the back trying to resuscitate her husband.
The couple had only been married for a year.
Shimon further describes seeing two more people killed. He says he also received a bullet through his window.
Police say the gunman was a 21-year-old Palestinian resident of East Jerusalem who appeared to have acted alone.
He was killed by police after opening fire at 8:15pm.
The attack underlines fears of an escalation in violence after months of clashes in the West Bank, culminating in a deadly Israeli raid on Jenin and cross-border fire between Israel and Gaza.
Nine Palestinians were killed in the West Bank raid, the highest single day death toll in years.
At a press conference, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu praised police efforts, but urged people not to take the law into their own hands.
He told reporters measures had been decided and that his cabinet would meet on Saturday evening, after the end of Shabbat, to “continue discussions around our response."
Friday's shooting, which happened on International Holocaust Remembrance Day during Shabbat, the Jewish day of rest, was condemned by the White House and UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres.
It comes days before a planned visit by U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken to Israel and the West Bank.