"You call the phone number, you stay on hold forever, then someone finally picks up and says sorry there's no appointments available," says one Bay Area resident, who hopes now there will be more vaccines to go around.
- This is the new one-dose Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine that is being shipped to cities everywhere. Sent out at a time when there are still major struggles getting a vaccination, for those who qualify to do so.
- You go to bed thinking about it, and you wake up thinking about it.
- Doreen Hernandez is high-risk. Her husband Billy is a grocery store worker. Despite Pfizer and Moderna products already out there, he's been unable to set up an appointment to get a COVID-19 vaccination. Troubling, especially seeing that they've had three family members in Southern California die of COVID-19 complications.
- You call the phone number, you stay on hold forever. Someone finally picks up the phone and says, sorry there's no appointments available.
- The new Johnson & Johnson vaccine is 66% effective in preventing symptomatic illness, and 85% effective in preventing severe and critical illness. Dr. Dean Winslow of Stanford, says getting this vaccine out there with the others is huge.
DEAN WINSLOW: What they're doing is basically increasing the supply of vaccine by at least 30% to 50%. I think it really bodes well for getting this pandemic under control.
- Governor Gavin Newsom says 380,000 doses of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine will be sent to California this week. Those I talked with are just hopeful that this makes a bigger impact going forward.
- My mom is 81, and I still can't get her in to get a vaccine.
- But while she could not get her mom a COVID-19 vaccination appointment, Kimberly Kowach was able to get this one for herself, since she is a preschool teacher. A bit confusing, yes, but she is hopeful that more supply will make for more appointments, and allow her mom and others to finally get a vaccination. Something that Hernandez is hopeful for as well.
- It will really make the vaccine availability much better. And that's really the bottom line right now.