Jackson Twp. church participates in "Buy a Tree, Change a Life" program

Susan Ferguson and youth pastor Andrew Dalrymple of Woodlawn Church in Jackson Township are spearheading "Buy a Tree Change a Life," an annual fundraiser which raises money for local children's nonprofits.
(Photo: Julie Vennitti Botos)
Susan Ferguson and youth pastor Andrew Dalrymple of Woodlawn Church in Jackson Township are spearheading "Buy a Tree Change a Life," an annual fundraiser which raises money for local children's nonprofits. (Photo: Julie Vennitti Botos)

JACKSON TWP. − If you're planning to buy a real Christmas tree this season, Woodlawn Church is offering a way to do so while also helping kids.

For the fifth year, the church at 2800 Woodlawn Ave. NW is participating in "Buy a Tree, Change a Life," a nationwide fundraiser in which half of the proceeds from Christmas trees, commemorative T-shirts, ornaments and sweatshirts benefits local children's nonprofits.

Susan Ferguson and the Rev. Andrew Dalrymple, Woodlawn youth pastor, are co-chairing this year's sale of 149 trees. Delivered earlier this month, the majority are Frazier firs from North Carolina, along with a handful of nine-foot balsams.

More:Holiday habitats: Ohio Division of Wildlife uses Christmas trees to help fish population

Ferguson said Woodlawn is the only local church participating in "Buy a Tree, Change a Life," which is the fund-raising arm of People for Care and Learning International, based in Cambodia.

Since 2012, more than 15,000 Christmas trees have been sold at 68 sites in 21 states, generating $5.6 million in proceeds.

Since they began five years ago, Woodlawn's "Save a Tree, Change a Life" project has raised $125,000.

"We have a very generous church and community," Ferguson said.

PCL International has a four-star rating with Charity Navigator. Its missions include children's homes in Cambodia, sustainable farming, English-as-a-second-language classes, education, community development, and the Common Grounds Cafe, which provides on-the-job training.

Matt Coutcher, Woodlawn Church's senior pastor, is a member of the global mission's board of directors.

Legacy Project will benefit

This year's split will benefit the Legacy Project of Stark County, a volunteer-based mentoring program for children in local school districts. Over the previous four years, the proceeds were donated to Tiqvah Hands of Hope, a faith-based, after-school program in Canton.

"What I love about the entire operation is that they encourage us to find a local organization to give to that's completely unrelated to anything they're doing," Dalrymple said. "I think that's cool."

Ferguson said she is volunteering this year with the Legacy Project.

"We go in and use a curriculum that talks a lot about fear and anxiety, and just a lot of the issues that school-age students deal with," she said. "A lot of it is just conversation, whatever they want to talk about for the day."

Ferguson said adults might be surprised what children share, adding that there's a waiting list of children who need mentors.

"I think we think we know what they go through every day," she said. "It was very eye-opening, and is from week to week."

More Stark church news:Church-based program offers Canton students hope, growth

Family Christmas tradition

Dalrymple said only about 20 trees went unsold last year.

"We have a guy who owns a tree company that comes in and mulches them up, but (any unsold) trees will be used to make wreaths this year that we're selling," he said.

A local nursey also is lined up to buy any possible leftovers.

Dalrymple said the entire cost of "Buy a Tree, Change a Life" is underwritten by church members, plus the sale itself is conducted by members who volunteer their time.

"That way, when we do start selling trees, wreaths, hoodies and ornaments, every penny that we make then can go straight to People for Care and Learning, and the Legacy Project," he said.

Ferguson said it's not unusual for entire families to help out at the Tree Shop.

"It's awesome to see," she said. "It's become a Christmas tradition for some families. It's also a good way for people to connect, you know, maybe if they're new to the church. It gives people an opportunity to feel like they're contributing and doing something worthwhile at Christmastime."

Prices for the trees range from $40 to $200. Wreaths are $40; hooded sweatshirts are $50; T-shirts are $25, and ornaments are $10. Sale times are:

  • Friday and Saturday: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.

  • Sunday: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.

  • Dec. 2: 4 to 8 p.m.

  • Dec. 3: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.

  • Dec. 4: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

For more information or to volunteer, visit https://woodlawnonline.com/buyatree/ or call the church at 330-477-7271.

Reach Charita at 330-580-8313 or charita.goshay@cantonrep.com

On Twitter: @cgoshayREP

This article originally appeared on The Repository: Jackson church participates in "Buy a Tree, Change a Life" program