Jogger Was Fatally Stabbed 1 Week After She Got Engaged — and Killer Gets 30 Years

Chris Harris

Nearly a year after randomly attacking jogger Wendy Martinez with a knife in Washington, D.C., Anthony Crawford was sentenced to 30 years in prison for killing the newly-engaged woman.

PEOPLE confirms that Crawford, 24, received his sentence from D.C. Superior Court Judge Craig Iscoe on Friday.

Back in June, Crawford appeared in court to plead guilty to first-degree murder in the death of Martinez, 35.

Martinez was jogging through a residential neighborhood when Crawford randomly lunged at her, stabbing her several times.

The September 18, 2018, attack was captured by surveillance cameras.

After her attack, Martinez desperately stumbled into a local Chinese restaurant covered in her own blood. Once inside, she collapsed, prompting customers to rush to her aide.

RELATED: Mom of Jogger Stabbed to Death in D.C. Says She Has ‘No Hate’ for Her Daughter’s Killer

Martinez was later transported to a nearby hospital where she was pronounced dead.

The murder happened a week after Martinez became engaged.

• Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

She was buried in the dress she’d planned to wear on her wedding day.

Her mother has said she forgives Crawford for the murder.

“My heart has no room for hate, has no room for resentfulness,” Cora Martinez said during a news conference.

RELATED: Bride-to-Be Killed on Jog Days After Engagement Had Run That Route Many Times: ‘It Is Supposed to Be Safe’

Martinez’s fiancé, Daniel Hincapie, ran the Boston Marathon this year to honor her memory.

Martinez had been training for the marathon.

RELATED: Woman Killed on Jog ‘Was Excited’ for Upcoming Wedding After Getting Engaged Days Before Stabbing

Prior to her murder, Martinez served as Chief of Staff of FiscalNote, a privately held software, data, and media company headquartered in Washington, D.C.

An attorney for Crawford could not be reached for comment.