- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Actor Johnny Depp said on Wednesday that "no one is safe" from "cancel culture."
The Hollywood star, who was dropped as a cast member for the Fantastic Beasts franchise in November after losing a libel case against the United Kingdom newspaper the Sun over its branding of him as a "wife-beater," made the comments before receiving the honorary Donostia Award at the San Sebastian Film Festival, according to Deadline.
"It can be seen as an event in history that lasted for however long it lasted, this cancel culture. This instant rush to judgment based on what essentially amounts to polluted air," Depp said. "It's so far out of hand now that I can promise you that no one is safe. Not one of you. No one out that door. No one is safe."
The Pirates of the Caribbean star is vying to win a $50 million defamation lawsuit against ex-wife Amber Heard after she wrote a 2018 op-ed in the Washington Post about her being a survivor of domestic abuse. Heard is pursuing a $100 million counterclaim.
"It takes one sentence, and there's no more ground. The carpet has been pulled," Depp said of the so-called "cancel culture" movement. "It's not just me that this has happened to, it's happened to a lot of people," Depp added, suggesting both men and women are victims of being ousted from the limelight due to a group-think mentality.
Depp called on people to "stand up, don't sit down" to the cancel culture trend "when there's an injustice, whether it's against you or someone you love, or someone you believe in."
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER
Washington Examiner Videos
Original Author: Kaelan Deese
Original Location: Johnny Depp warns 'no one is safe' from 'cancel culture'