- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
A lawsuit lodged by Marilyn Manson’s former assistant against the rocker has been dismissed after a judge ruled Wednesday there were “too few facts to keep this case in court.”
Los Angeles Court Judge Michael L. Stern also determined that the lawsuit alleging sexual harassment, abuse, sexual battery, intentional infliction of emotional distress and wrongful termination against Manson, whose real name is Brian Warner, had been brought too late to meet statute of limitation requirements, Deadline reports.
Ashley Walters, who worked for the singer between 2010 and 2011, brought the lawsuit against Manson in May of 2021. Her attorney, Tanya Sukhija-Cohen claimed that Walters was unable to file the lawsuit earlier because she had repressed memories and “couldn’t exercise her claims because she was unaware they occurred until the memories came back.”
Her legal team said Walters' memories “flooded back” after she met with other women who have alleged abuse by Manson and she sought help “from a mental health professional,” according to her complaint obtained by Law & Crime.
They believed her case would fall under a new amendment in California law that expanded the statute of limitations to 10 years for abuse survivors who weren’t aware that they were being abused at the time of the offense.
Manson’s attorneys, however, had argued that Walters had been conscious of the alleged abuse while she was working for him more than a decade ago.
Stern sided with Manson’s attorneys ruling earlier this week that Walters’ allegations were “not applicable to the delayed discovery rule” noting that she had failed to provide “sufficient facts” to support the use of the amendment.
“The plaintiff has pleaded too few facts and too late to keep this case in court,” Stern said, according to CBS News.
Stern had reached a similar conclusion in February before giving Walters an opportunity to submit an amended complaint.
On Wednesday, Stern dismissed Walters’ suit “with prejudice” meaning she will be unable to file another suit based on the same allegations.
Walters had accused Manson of repeatedly sexually abusing her and forcibly kissing her while she worked as his assistant. She also alleged that she was forced to work excessively long hours and travel with drugs.
Manson has denied the claims through his attorneys.
In a statement obtained by Oxygen.com, Walters said she was disappointed by the judge’s ruling.
“Nobody gets to choose exactly how they process abuse or threats,” she said. “I am disheartened in the court’s decision today not just for my case, but for the message it sends to other survivors out there trying to balance how they process abuse with arbitrary court deadlines. We will not let this hurdle stop us from shining a light on what happened to me and others.”
Her attorneys with Valli Kane & Vagnini LLP and Hadsell Stormer Renick & Dai LLP said in a statement to Oxygen.com that they were “deeply disappointed” by the ruling and plan on filing an appeal.
“If allowed to stand, this decision would drastically limit the ability of victims of abuse to obtain justice through the legal system,” they wrote. “We clearly pleaded the facts of this case in the complaint detailing the trauma and abuse Ashley endured, which prevented her from coming forward sooner. While the court based its decision on the timeliness of Ashley’s claims and not the merits, we disagree with the court’s interpretation of the law as it applies to equitable estoppel and the delayed filing of abuse claims.”
Manson is still facing a lawsuit brought against him by “Game of Thrones” actress Esme Bianco. Bianco has alleged that she was drugged, tortured and sexually abused by Manson.
“I was brainwashed and manipulated into submission,” she wrote. “I am done living in fear of retaliation, slander, or blackmail. I am here to expose this dangerous man and call out the many industries that have enabled him, before he ruins any more lives. I stand with the many victims who will no longer be silent.”
Manson has denied all the allegations against him and sued Wood for defamation in March, calling her claims a “malicious falsehood.”