One of the three victims killed in Sunday's mass shooting at a California food festival has been identified as a 13-year-old girl eagerly awaiting her 14th birthday celebration, which was set to take place next week, on August 4, her family told the San Francisco Chronicle.
Keyla Salazar, of San Jose, was gunned down at the Gilroy Garlic Festival by 19-year-old Santino William Legan, who opened fire on visitors at the annual event with an AK-47-style assault rifle after sneaking into the fairgrounds through a hole he cut in a fence. Legan was killed by police about a minute into his rampage.
Keyla was eating ice cream at the family-friendly festival with her two younger sisters, her mother and her stepdad when shots first rang out, around 5:30 p.m., her aunt, Katiuska Vargas, told the Associated Press.
As people began to flee the area, Vargas says Keyla stayed back to keep pace with another relative who uses a cane. Both Keyla and her stepdad, Lalo, then became separated from the rest of the group and were hit by gunfire.
The family successfully located Lalo, who had been shot in the arm, at Stanford Hospital on Sunday evening, but received a phone call around 2:30 a.m. informing them Keyla's body was "being well taken care of at the coroner's."
The victim's aunt took to Facebook Monday to share the news of her niece's death.
"I have no words to describe this pain I'm feeling," Vargas wrote. "Keyla you are an angel and we will miss you with all of our hearts. You were too young to be taken from us. We are all devastated and broken."
A GoFundMe page, created to cover the cost of Keyla's final expenses, has already raised more than $44,000 of its $50,000 goal.
On Sunday, family members of 6-year-old Stephen Romero identified him as one of the victims of the Gilroy shooting.
His father, Alberto, received a phone call from his wife, Barbara Aquirre, after the attack informing him that she, their son, and the boy's grandmother, Barbara Velasquez Aquirre, had all been shot.
While both women survived, Stephen later died from his injuries at St. Louise Hospital in Gilroy.
"There's nothing I really can do besides try to be with him until I can put him in his resting spot, wherever that is," Alberto Romero told NBC Bay Area. "My son had his whole life to live and he was only 6. That's all I can say."
A GoFundMe page to benefit the boy's family has nearly exceeded its $50,000 goal.
The third victim of the attack was identified as 25-year-old Trevor Irby, a biology major who graduated from New York's Keuka College in 2017, according to the New York Post.
Irby was attending the festival with his longtime girlfriend, Sarah Warner, when he was gunned down. Warner, who lived in Santa Cruz, Calif., with Irby, survived the attack.
President of Keuka College Amy Storey expressed "profound sadness" over the devastating news in a Monday statement.
"Our hearts go out to Trevor's family and loved ones," she said.
Storey expressed relief that Warner, who also attended Keuka, was not physically injured in the shooting and offered "our support and prayers" to her and her family.
A GoFundMe page started by Irby's friends to benefit his loved ones has raised more than $11,600 of its $25,000 goal.