SHELBY — Six people escaped a burning house fire Thursday morning at 146 E. Main St.
All were transported to OhioHealth Shelby with at least smoke inhalation. And two to four of those individuals suffered burns, Shelby fire Chief Mike Thompson said.
The fire broke out around 9 a.m.
White and gray smoke billowed from the house for almost three hours as numerous firefighters battled the blaze, which shut down the street.
When were firefighters called to the blaze?
Thompson said the department was called to the working structure fire and when they arrived the two-story house was engulfed in flames.
The chief said two to three, maybe four of the six people who had been inside the residence suffered burn injuries.
"We got them transferred as quick as we could. I really don't know their statuses at this point," the chief said around 11:30 a.m.
How a Good Samaritan helped saved a life
A Good Samaritan who was at a next-door neighbor's house said he ran outside without shoes or a shirt, climbed up on a balcony, and lifted a small boy to safety.
"I pulled the baby down and then helped the mom," said Davian Ross, 20. "At first it was the dad who came out with the first boy in a diaper.
"He was pounding, pounding on the window and I'm like, 'Guys, why is he pounding on the window?' and then like everybody saw the smoke flying up and I was like, 'Oh (expletive) the house is on fire,'" Ross said as firefighters from numerous departments assisted the Shelby Fire Department as they worked to extinguish the fire.
"Their mom came running out the back door," he said. "As soon as I made it around the corner, I seen her climbing out onto the landing. I immediately just reached up and said, 'Give me the baby. Give me the baby.' She was in shock. She was like, 'Go get June (the dog)' and I was like, 'Give me the baby.'"
He said once he got the baby down the mom eventually jumped down and he caught her.
Another neighbor said her 15-year-old son called 911.
Other fire departments provided mutual aid
Thompson said he wished to thank Plymouth, Shiloh, Madison, Springfield and Franklin fire departments for mutual aid.
"We had a lot of fire," he said.
"This was kind of rough. We're still working on it," Thompson said. "The main thing is for everybody to pray for the family and keep our guys safe."
The downtown street was lined with fire engines as firefighters manned a ladder truck, spraying water into the attic as smoke continued to barrel out of the large house.
No further information was immediately available. The state fire marshal's office was on the scene.
This article originally appeared on Mansfield News Journal: Six people escape Shelby house fire, some with burn injuries