A hazardous materials investigation in downtown Los Angeles has been cleared after emergency crews determined that a chemical that spilled from a barrel was not dangerous.
The emergency response happened Friday afternoon at L.A. Live after a 55-gallon drum was moved into a parking structure for cleaning and an employee apparently became sick from the container’s fumes.
The employee was treated on scene by paramedics but declined transportation to the hospital.
A hazardous materials crew responded to the entertainment complex around noon and were working to identify the contents of the drum. Air conditioning units located near the container were shut down in an effort to prevent the fumes from affecting other people.
No evacuations were ordered initially, but first responders later decided to evacuate all L.A. Live employees near the scene and set up a triage area for patients.
In total, 33 employees were evaluated and released from the scene, except for one employee who was taken to the hospital for an unrelated medical problem. All of the 33 people were employees of the JW Marriot hotel, LAFD officials said.
Video from Sky5 showed the garage taped off from the public and several law enforcement vehicles blocking the area.
Around 4 p.m., LAFD officials said the contents of the drum were determined to be some type of cleaning solution, although the exact identification of the product was still being investigated.
The hazardous materials crew later deemed the spilled chemical non-hazardous and workers were allowed to return to the area.
Investigators were expected to remain on scene for several hours and said the smell may linger due to the amount spilled, but stressed there were no public safety concerns.
The investigation will eventually be transferred to the Los Angeles County Public Health Department, LAFD officials said.