Lady Cards tie Sullivan

·3 min read

Sep. 12—The Washington Catholic Lady Cardinals (2-2-2) added another draw to their overall record on Thursday, as they faced off with the Sullivan Golden Arrows. The game was a possible foreshadowing of a tough sectional match-up in October with neither team giving way to the other. At the final whistle, the Lady Cardinals and Lady Golden Arrows had to settle for a 1-1 tie.

WC started the game with a strong offensive effort with shots on goal coming from seniors Ella Grissom, Mya Cline, and Maritza Villagran. Freshman Angela Santiago and junior Rosie Serrano controlled the midfield and kept pressing the attack. While WC had several opportunities, the Sullivan defense was stout and did not give up any scores.

As play shifted towards the Lady Cardinal goal, WC juniors Audrey Jerger and Hallie Plummer and seniors Brynna Hunter, Molly Brown, and Maggie Lee intercepted the Sullivan attacks to limit their chances at goal. Junior goalkeeper Addie Talbert collected 5 of her 8 saves on the night in the first half alone. The Golden Arrows were the first to tally a goal on the scoreboard. At the 25:54-minute of the first half, Sullivan centered a ball that pinballed through the WC defense before landing at the feet of a Golden Arrow striker for a blast into the right corner. Washington Catholic's defensive intensity rose after the goal and limited the Golden Arrow attacks for the rest of the half.

"We started the game with a lot of intensity and purpose, and that's what led to our early chances," WC Coach Austin Deem said. "We started getting a little lazy and didn't want to be as aggressive coming to the ball. That's when they capitalized and got their goal."

Second half of play saw more of the WC attack that started the game. Quick ball movement through the WC midfield created open spaces for runs by Serrano, Cline, Villagran, and Hunter. WC had several opportunities to score with more shots from Cline, Grissom, junior Grace Drew, and freshman Mariana Becerra. With time quickly winding down, WC put together one last attack. Senior Brynna Hunter settled a ball on the WC defensive side and carried it up the middle of the field, crossing through multiple defenders. Hunter blasted the ball from 20-yards out into the upper right corner of the net, to tie the game 1-1 with 1:48 left to play. WC would make another run before time expired, but the effort was unsuccessful and the match would end in a draw.

"Brynna had another great game tonight," WC Coach Austin Deem said. "She has a great understanding of the game and knows when it is appropriate to attack and when it's time to stay back and defend. She also did a great job of taking control of the game during a couple of lulls in play, which is something we need from our leaders. There are several girls that are understanding now that their attitudes and work ethic will determine the level of play for the whole team, not just for themselves as individuals."

Washington Catholic is off until next Tuesday when they travel to WRV for a nonconference match.