Lagos governor appeals for calm after Lekki shooting

Nigeria's Lagos state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, on Wednesday (October 21) made an appeal for peace following the shooting of protesters by soldiers the previous evening.

During his speech, Sanwo-Olu described the shooting as among the "darkest hours from our history as a people."

In a televised speech, Sanwo-Olu said 30 people were hurt in the shooting at a toll gate in Lagos' Lekki district on Tuesday (October 20) and that there were no fatalities.

But in a later tweet he said that one person had died at a Lagos hospital, but it was unclear if the person had been a protester.

Sanwo-Olu said incidents of arson and "destruction" had been reported in Lagos, and he urged President Muhammadu Buhari to intervene.

Handout photos from his office showed Sanwo-Olu visiting an injured man in a hospital.

Video Transcript

BABAJIDE SANWO-OLU: Dear Lagosians, I address you today with a heavy heart, but not just as your elected governor. I do so as a father and as a brother. I do so as one who is touched by the infirmities and the feelings of his people. I do so as a part of the collective humanity that we all share. Indeed, I'm saddened today.

Yesterday's events were no doubt some of the darkest [INAUDIBLE] of our history as a state and as a people. I want to-- once again and passionately from the depths of my heart-- appeal to our teeming youths, to our protestants that they should please give peace a chance. There have been several reported cases of arson, of destruction already this morning.

I want to say, once again, that as your governor, I will do everything to ensure that every life indeed do matters. Thank you very much for listening.