- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Laos has recorded its first COVID-19 related fatality since the pandemic began over a year ago.
About the death: A 53-year-old woman, who worked at a "karaoke club in Naxay village, Xaysettha district," died in the country's capital, the Vientiane Times reported.
The woman was already suffering from pre-existing medical issues such as diabetes.
Following her death, citizens urged Laotian authorities to "intensify their battle against the deadly disease."
Rise in cases: The Southeast Asian country has experienced a surge of new cases in the past few days, with 69 new infections reported on Sunday.
According to the Vientiane Times, the highest number of recent cases is 46 and comes from the Bokeo province, while Vientiane has 16, as per data shared over the weekend.
This new surge follows the Lao New Year holiday on April 14, CNN reported.
As of Monday, the total number of cases in Laos has reached 1,327, according to data from the Coronavirus Resource Center at Johns Hopkins University. 1,184 cases were reported in the last month.
Other details: Dr. Bouathep Phoumin, Deputy Director-General of the Department of Healthcare and Rehabilitation, said people with underlying medical conditions, such as diabetes and hypertension, are the most likely to suffer severe symptoms from COVID-19.
People who intentionally provide inaccurate information during contact tracing may face charges for spreading the virus, authorities said.
Laos has so far distributed 184,387 vaccine doses, according to Our World in Data via CNN.
Last week, the Laotian government extended lockdown orders until May 20 as part of the country's efforts to contain the virus.
In addition to the National Taskforce for COVID-19 Prevention and Control, local taskforces will follow up on these orders by determining which areas will need more or fewer restrictions.
Featured Image via Radio Free Asia
Enjoy this content? Read more from NextShark!