Suspect arrested in assault of laborer and homicide of 100-year-old man in Encino

Matthew Ormseth
·2 min read
Detectives with the Los Angeles Police Department on Thursday afternoon were investigating a homicide in Encino that may be linked to a nearby assault, police said. At 11:50 a.m., LAPD officers and paramedics responded to a report of a man with lacerations on his arm near the intersection of Ventura Boulevard and White Oak Avenue, said Officer Jader Chaves, an LAPD spokesman. The man was taken by ambulance to a hospital.
Police and firefighters at the scene of a homicide Thursday in the 17700 block of Alonzo Place in Encino. Officers found a body after responding to a report of a man armed with a hatchet. (OnScene.TV)

A 100-year-old man was found bludgeoned to death in his Encino home Thursday after an assault was committed nearby, seemingly random attacks that authorities believe were committed by the same suspect.

About 12 p.m., LAPD officers were called to a reported assault in the 4400 block of Coronet Drive in Encino. A laborer told police he had been walking to his car when a man approached him and, for no apparent reason, began swinging at him with a blunt weapon, said Det. Steve Castro of the LAPD’s Valley Bureau.

The suspect fled, and the worker, who suffered cuts to his arm, followed him and called the police. Officers arrested Adam Dimmerman, 47, on Karen Drive and recovered the blunt weapon, which Castro declined to describe in detail, as well as a knife, Castro said.

The Los Angeles Police Department described the weapon as an ax in a news release.

An hour later, officers responded to a report of a homicide about half a mile away. The wife of Youssef Mahboubianfard had left their home in the 17700 block of Alonzo Place about noon and returned around 1 p.m., Castro said. She found her husband’s body in the garage.

Mahboubianfard, 100, had been bludgeoned to death, his wounds consistent with those inflicted by the same blunt weapon used in the assault on Coronet Drive, Castro said. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Detectives are confident that Dimmerman committed both attacks, probably killing Mahboubianfard first and then assaulting the worker, Castro said.

Dimmerman has no apparent ties to Mahboubianfard or the victim of the assault, and detectives haven’t identified a motive for the attacks, Castro said.

There are no additional suspects at large, he added.

This story originally appeared in Los Angeles Times.