Larry Nance Jr., CJ McCollum unite as NBA teammates with Ohio ties: '330 vs. everybody'

New Orleans Pelicans forward Larry Nance Jr. dunks against the Cleveland Cavaliers during the first half of an NBA basketball game, Monday, Jan. 16, 2023, in Cleveland. (AP Photo/Ron Schwane)
New Orleans Pelicans forward Larry Nance Jr. dunks against the Cleveland Cavaliers during the first half of an NBA basketball game, Monday, Jan. 16, 2023, in Cleveland. (AP Photo/Ron Schwane)
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

CLEVELAND — When Larry Nance Jr. and CJ McCollum join forces in shooting competitions against some of their New Orleans Pelicans teammates, the duo is not shy about flaunting its Northeast Ohio roots.

“We'll go 330 versus everybody else,” Nance told the Beacon Journal.

Yes, Nance and McCollum hail from the same area code, and they're major reasons the Pelicans are on pace for one of their best seasons in franchise history.

With a 113-103 loss to the Cavaliers on Monday at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse, the Pelicans dropped to 26-18, third in the NBA's Western Conference.

New Orleans Pelicans guard CJ McCollum (3) and forward Larry Nance Jr. (22) walk down the court after a foul late in the second half of an NBA basketball game against the Boston Celtics in New Orleans, Friday, Nov. 18, 2022. The Celtics won 117-109. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)
New Orleans Pelicans guard CJ McCollum (3) and forward Larry Nance Jr. (22) walk down the court after a foul late in the second half of an NBA basketball game against the Boston Celtics in New Orleans, Friday, Nov. 18, 2022. The Celtics won 117-109. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)

“Both CJ and Larry have brought leadership, No. 1,” Pelicans coach Willie Green said. “They're high-character guys that are pros. They come in every day, and there's a standard that they set for themselves, for their teammates.

“CJ has a lot of scoring ability — his ability to be sort of diverse in roles that he can play. He can play off the ball. He can play with the ball his hand. He'll have nights when he scores big. He's also OK deferring to others when he needs to. Then Larry, he makes sure the team's better, just [with] his ability to guard [and] high IQ on the basketball floor. So both of those guys have brought a ton of value to our program.”

Cavs news:Cleveland welcomes back Ricky Rubio, now must figure out new rotation

Donovan Mitchell injury:Cavs star injured but Darius Garland leads Cleveland past Pelicans

New Orleans Pelicans guard CJ McCollum (3) looks to pass the ball against Cleveland Cavaliers forward Isaac Okoro, center, and center Jarrett Allen, right, during the first half of an NBA basketball game, Monday, Jan. 16, 2023, in Cleveland. (AP Photo/Ron Schwane)
New Orleans Pelicans guard CJ McCollum (3) looks to pass the ball against Cleveland Cavaliers forward Isaac Okoro, center, and center Jarrett Allen, right, during the first half of an NBA basketball game, Monday, Jan. 16, 2023, in Cleveland. (AP Photo/Ron Schwane)

How Larry Nance Jr. and CJ McCollum have bonded as teammates on multiple NBA rosters

It's been nearly a year since the Portland Trail Blazers sent Nance and McCollum to the Pelicans in a trade on Feb. 8, 2022.

Despite Nance, 30, graduating from Revere High School and McCollum, 31, graduating from GlenOak High School, they didn't know each other until the Trail Blazers acquired Nance from the Cavaliers (28-17) in a trade on Aug. 27, 2021. They have become good friends since then.

“To be teammates now on two different teams and to obviously practice together, travel together, you become closer,” McCollum said. “You start getting dinners together. You start spending more time together. He's a really good dude, comes from a great family and obviously is a talented basketball player who has helped contribute to our team and is one of the reasons why we've been successful.”

Portland Trail Blazers guard CJ McCollum (3) and forward Larry Nance Jr. (11) defend San Antonio Spurs guard Dejounte Murray (5) during the second half, Dec. 2, 2021, at Moda Center, in Portland.
Portland Trail Blazers guard CJ McCollum (3) and forward Larry Nance Jr. (11) defend San Antonio Spurs guard Dejounte Murray (5) during the second half, Dec. 2, 2021, at Moda Center, in Portland.

Nance is clearly the more popular of the two players among Cleveland fans. It's understandable because he's a former Cavs player (2018-21) and the son of a legendary Cleveland power forward. Larry Nance Sr. and other members of his family attended Monday's game.

When the younger Nance came off the bench to enter the action with three minutes left in the opening quarter, he received applause. The forward finished with four points (2-of-3 shooting from the field), three rebounds, three assists and a steal in 15 minutes.

Larry Nance Jr.'s brother:Revere and Northwestern graduate Pete Nance transfers to North Carolina to play basketball

On the other hand, McCollum received a smattering of boos when Pelicans starters were announced during player introductions. After a slow start, the guard scored 14 of his team-high 25 points in the third quarter. He shot 8 of 20 from the field, including 3 of 9 on 3-pointers. He added four assists and committed four turnovers in 36 minutes.

“That's my guy,” Nance said. “On the road, we do just about everything together. Good people gravitate to one another. I've enjoyed getting to be around and meet him and his family, and it's been something I really enjoy.”

Cleveland Cavaliers guard Ricky Rubio (13) shoots against New Orleans Pelicans guard CJ McCollum (3) during the second half of an NBA basketball game, Monday, Jan. 16, 2023, in Cleveland. (AP Photo/Ron Schwane)
Cleveland Cavaliers guard Ricky Rubio (13) shoots against New Orleans Pelicans guard CJ McCollum (3) during the second half of an NBA basketball game, Monday, Jan. 16, 2023, in Cleveland. (AP Photo/Ron Schwane)

McCollum didn't exactly endear himself to the crowd in his homecoming game, though.

His right arm whacked small forward Isaac Okoro in the head while the latter attempted a fast-break layup with 4:28 left in the second quarter. The officials ruled it was a common foul after reviewing replays for a flagrant. Then with 1:14 left in the game, McCollum received a technical foul for voicing his displeasure to an official because he thought Okoro had fouled him as he drove to the basket.

More on the Cavs:The slowest-paced team in the league is trying to grind opposing teams to a halt

Cavaliers coach J.B. Bickerstaff liked the defensive effort Okoro gave against McCollum.

“Isaac's going to fight. He's going to make it difficult,” Bickerstaff said. “Some of these guys, they are the greatest offensive players in the world. CJ's one of the most talented offensive players we have in this league, but I thought Isaac did a really job of just making it tough. He had to take 20 shots to get 25 points. That means you're doing your job.”

Apr 19, 2022; Phoenix, Arizona, U.S.;  Phoenix Suns guard Devin Booker (1) is double-teamed by New Orleans Pelicans forward Larry Nance Jr. (22) and guard CJ McCollum (3) during Game 2 of the Western Conference playoffs.
Apr 19, 2022; Phoenix, Arizona, U.S.; Phoenix Suns guard Devin Booker (1) is double-teamed by New Orleans Pelicans forward Larry Nance Jr. (22) and guard CJ McCollum (3) during Game 2 of the Western Conference playoffs.

Larry Nance Jr. and CJ McCollum are focused on giving back to the community in Northeast Ohio

No matter how Cavs fans feel about them as the opposition, Nance and McCollum are loyal to the places they call home.

“It's just the pride in coming from this area, where it's blue collar and you've got to work for everything that you want in life,” McCollum said. “You have a great understanding and appreciation of genuinely honest and nice people. You travel all over the world, and the loyalty that these fans have to sports and to the people that come from here, especially when you embrace it, I think is unlike anything we've seen.”

Historic Cavs game:Kevin Love ranks Donovan Mitchell's 71-point game against best nights by LeBron, Kyrie

Monday's game was the first for Nance and McCollum in Cleveland as members of the Pelicans, but they played for the Trail Blazers in a 107-104 road loss to the Cavs on Nov. 3, 2021.

“Anytime I get to come back home is always circled on my calendar,” Nance said.

New Orleans Pelicans forward Larry Nance Jr. (22) charges into Detroit Pistons guard Hamidou Diallo (6) in the second half of an NBA basketball game in Detroit, Friday, Jan. 13, 2023.
New Orleans Pelicans forward Larry Nance Jr. (22) charges into Detroit Pistons guard Hamidou Diallo (6) in the second half of an NBA basketball game in Detroit, Friday, Jan. 13, 2023.

McCollum's family, including brother Errick, who plays professional basketball in Turkey, and hunger relief partner Goodr held a free pop-up grocery market Sunday in Stark County.

“This is a place that's near and dear to our hearts,” McCollum said. “We were born and raised in Canton. We understand the importance of giving back to the community you come from, but also the resources that may be lacking in that area.

“It's a point of emphasis for us and something that we feel like we can impact consistently in partnership with Goodr. We provided meals for over a week for over 400 families, which is really awesome, and it's something that we take pride in and we're thankful we're able to do.”

New Orleans Pelicans forward Larry Nance Jr. (22) passes the ball as Utah Jazz forward Jarred Vanderbilt, left, defends during the first half of an NBA basketball game Thursday, Dec. 15, 2022, in Salt Lake City. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer)
New Orleans Pelicans forward Larry Nance Jr. (22) passes the ball as Utah Jazz forward Jarred Vanderbilt, left, defends during the first half of an NBA basketball game Thursday, Dec. 15, 2022, in Salt Lake City. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer)

During his Cavs days, Nance helped local small businesses hit hard by the COVID-19 pandemic. This season, he's auctioning off his game-worn Pelicans jerseys from every home game, matching the funds raised and donating the proceeds to NOLA Public Schools.

“That's something that I always try to set out to do no matter what community I'm in,” Nance said. “I've been incredibly fortunate with the life I've been given, so trying to give back and use this platform for good is paramount in my book.

“It started in Cleveland with the small business initiative, and that went so well. It kind of affected and touched a lot of people. I wanted to do something similar in New Orleans. The New Orleans public school system really needs some love and a champion, so I'm trying to be that.”

New Orleans Pelicans guard CJ McCollum (3) is pressured by Detroit Pistons guard Rodney McGruder (17) and Bojan Bogdanovic (44) in the first half of an NBA basketball game in Detroit, Friday, Jan. 13, 2023. (AP Photo/Paul Sancya)
New Orleans Pelicans guard CJ McCollum (3) is pressured by Detroit Pistons guard Rodney McGruder (17) and Bojan Bogdanovic (44) in the first half of an NBA basketball game in Detroit, Friday, Jan. 13, 2023. (AP Photo/Paul Sancya)

Larry Nance Jr. and CJ McCollum have helped the Pelicans compete amid injuries

Nance and McCollum said they're pleased with their transitions to the Pelicans, even though injuries are plaguing the team. Brandon Ingram has been out since Nov. 25 with a toe contusion, and Zion Williamson has missed the past seven games with a strained hamstring.

“Brandon hasn't played in eight weeks, and Zion has missed a slew of games this year,” said Nance, who's averaging 7.7 points and 5.6 rebounds a game this season. “We haven't had an easy road, an easy path whatsoever, and we're still maintaining. That's pretty exciting, in my opinion. I don't know how good we can be, but third in the West without two All Stars is exciting.”

New Orleans Pelicans forward Larry Nance Jr. (22) shoots over Golden State Warriors guard Ty Jerome (10) in the first half of an NBA basketball game in New Orleans, Monday, Nov. 21, 2022. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)
New Orleans Pelicans forward Larry Nance Jr. (22) shoots over Golden State Warriors guard Ty Jerome (10) in the first half of an NBA basketball game in New Orleans, Monday, Nov. 21, 2022. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)

Williamson leads the Pelicans with 26 points per game, followed by McCollum (21.3) and Ingram (20.8). McCollum leads the team with 5.9 assists a game.

“I've enjoyed the role that I've played on this team,” McCollum said. “I've enjoyed getting to know everybody and figuring out ways to contribute, not only to the team on the court, but the city off the court. So it's been everything I could have asked for and more.”

NBA trade review:Revisiting the blockbuster Cavs-Jazz trade: Donovan Mitchell calls it a 'win-win'

McCollum has advocated for his fellow players as president of the National Basketball Players Association. He was elected to lead the union in August 2021. Bickerstaff called McCollum “a role model” to his peers.

“It's very demanding,” McCollum said. “It's a lot of work, but I've enjoyed the process of learning more about the NBA, learning about the business of the NBA and ways in which we can collectively bargain and make our game and our sport better.”

New Orleans Pelicans guard CJ McCollum from GlenOak High School walks the field ahead of the Browns playing the Steelers, Thursday, Sept. 22, 2022, in Cleveland.
New Orleans Pelicans guard CJ McCollum from GlenOak High School walks the field ahead of the Browns playing the Steelers, Thursday, Sept. 22, 2022, in Cleveland.

McCollum has communicated with former Browns center JC Tretter about is role as the president of the NFL Players Association.

“We've talked some, not as much as I would've liked, but as an avid Browns fan I was aware [Tretter had been chosen to lead the NFLPA in 2020],” McCollum said. “I'm always watching from afar to see how things are progressing for him and the guys in the NFL.”

And people from the old stomping grounds of Nance and McCollum will continue to monitor their careers, too.

Nate Ulrich can be reached at nulrich@thebeaconjournal.com.

On Twitter: @ByNateUlrich.

This article originally appeared on Akron Beacon Journal: Ohio ties bond Larry Nance Jr., CJ McCollum with New Orleans Pelicans