The Latest: Detroit man tied to deaths, assaults arraigned

1 / 4

Women Killed Detroit

Detroit Police Chief James Craig answers questions during a press conference, Friday, June 7, 2019, at the Detroit Police Headquarters in Detroit, addressing the police response to a possible serial killer. Investigators believe a "serial murderer and rapist" targeting prostitutes is at large in Detroit. (Kimberly P. Mitchell/Detroit Free Press via AP)

DETROIT (AP) — The Latest on a possible serial killer in Detroit (all times local):

2:10 p.m.

A Detroit man being held in connection with the deaths of three women has been arraigned on sexual assault charges in a separate case police say is connected to the slayings.

Thirty-four-year-old Deangelo Martin was arraigned Monday on charges of criminal sexual conduct and assault with intent to murder. The charges stem from the May 7 stabbing and assault of a 26-year-old woman in an eastside home.

Martin, who has no attorney, was returned to the Wayne County Jail. His next hearing is scheduled for June 20.

He hasn't been charged with the murders, but Detroit Police Chief James Craig says he sees similarities between the slayings and the assaults of at least two women. Investigators also are looking at more cases.

Martin was taken into custody Friday, two days after the body of a woman was found in a vacant house. The bodies of the other two women were discovered in separate empty dwellings earlier this year.

___

1:32 p.m.

Detroit Police Chief James Craig says he believes a man being held in connection with the deaths of three women and charged in the sexual assault of another is responsible for those crimes and others.

Craig spoke Monday about Deangelo Martin, who was charged earlier in the day with criminal sexual conduct and assault with intent to murder a 26-year-old woman in an east side home. Martin, who doesn't have an attorney, is expected to be arraigned Monday afternoon.

Craig says the 34-year-old Martin hasn't been charged with the murders, but the chief sees similarities between the slayings and the assaults of at least two women.

Martin was taken into custody Friday, two days after the body of a woman was found in a vacant house. The bodies of the other two women were discovered in separate empty dwellings earlier this year.

Craig says they are looking at more cases in the city and a nearby suburb that could be connected.

___

12:15 p.m.

Prosecutors have charged a Detroit man who police call a "person of interest" in the deaths of three women with sexually assaulting a separate woman.

Wayne County prosecutors said Monday that 34-year-old Deangelo Martin was charged with criminal sexual conduct and assault with intent to murder. The charges stem from the May 7 stabbing and assault of a 26-year-old woman in an eastside home.

Martin is expected to be arraigned Monday afternoon. He does not have an attorney.

Police have not described Martin as a suspect in the deaths. He was taken into custody Friday, two days after the body of a woman was found in a vacant house. The bodies of the other two women were discovered in separate empty dwellings earlier this year.

Investigators believe the deaths are related.