Lewiston fire displaces 3 people in Howe Street apartment building

Christopher Williams, Sun Journal, Lewiston, Maine
·1 min read

Mar. 31—LEWISTON — A two-alarm fire Tuesday morning in a multi-family building on Howe Street left three people homeless, authorities said.

Firefighters responded about 7:30 a.m. to 47 Howe St. at the corner of Ash Street where smoke could be seen pouring from the eaves of the back of the building. Flames were visible from the eaves and a window.

Fire Inspector Paul Ouellette said the fire started in a second-floor storage room by the improper disposal of smoking material.

It took firefighters about an hour to bring the fire under control, he said.

The owner of the building, Sophia Gallet, had purchased the two-family home in January and had been working on fixing it up, Ouellette said.

She lived on the first floor while a couple lived on the second floor.

Everyone escaped injury from the fire, including two cats, he said.

Total property damage was estimated at $50,000.

Auburn Fire Department assisted with mutual aid.