Six people were displaced on Friday after a house in Glendale caught fire as a new dryer was being installed.
Firefighters responded about 2 p.m. to the house fire that ran across the entire attic of the Glendale home, Capt. Ashley Losch of the Glendale Fire Department said.
No occupants were in the home near 59th and Olive avenues when the fire broke out and no injuries were reported.
Crews were able to secure a waterline and were still working to get the fire under control several hours after first arriving at the scene, Losch said.
The fire was caused when a new dryer was being installed and the lint left in the vent caught fire, Losch said. A total of six people were displaced.
According to the U.S. Fire Administration, 2,900 fires are caused each year by clothes dryers catching fire, leading to five deaths on average, 100 injuries and an estimated $35 million in damages.
Failing to properly remove dryer lint out of the vent accounted for 34% of home fires caused by dryers.
Reach breaking news reporter Julie Luchetta at email@example.com.
Support local journalism. Subscribe to azcentral.com today.
This article originally appeared on Arizona Republic: Fire caused by dryer lint displaces 6 people in Glendale