- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Local leaders met to figure out how to improve southwestern Pennsylvania. KDKA's Bryant Reed has more.
- As President Biden fights for his trillion infrastructure and jobs plan, local leaders met to figure out how to improve southwestern Pennsylvania. Bryant Reed was at a roundtable discussion today where the group was hoping to bring some deteriorating communities back to life, Bryant.
- Ken, local leaders are counting on President Biden's jobs and infrastructure plan to provide some much needed funding to start urbanizing our area, and adding some much needed jobs where major companies have left.
Redeveloping and rebuilding communities in Allegheny and Butler counties has become one of the top priorities for County officials. Transportation and repurposing rundown buildings for Green community spaces is just part of the conversation leaders brought to the roundtable discussion.
- We go in, clean up the site, bring back the jobs, reestablish the tax base, help build the communities.
- Tim White in RDIC are doing that right now in Hazelwood.
- But the extension of the Expressway which now ends in Rankin and Braddock. We'd like to take that off into Braddock in the East Pittsburgh into out in McKeesport, connecting some of the main Valley communities that have been cut off.
- With this work, they not only hope to provide thousands of jobs to the region but also revitalize areas that need it the most.
- Hazelwood has been a neighborhood that has dealt with a lot of blight since the steel mill closed a couple of decades ago. So this is an opportunity to give some folks who haven't seen a lot of economic opportunities, those economic opportunities.
- Well, this site was an old Brownfield. It was one of the dirtiest sites you could have as a Coke works. We were reusing the foundations from the old mill site to channel stormwater and reuse it into our graywater system. Now when this whole site developed, you could have over 5,000 jobs across this site.
- The group believes that improving infrastructure and adding jobs closer to home is about investing in people. They say the more that can be done meet the better quality of life. Reporting live tonight, I'm Bryant Reed KDKA News.