‘I’m not playing politics with this’: Ice Cube continues to defend Trump partnership

Isobel Lewis
·2 min read
Ice Cube (Getty Images for REVOLT)
Ice Cube (Getty Images for REVOLT)

Ice Cube has doubled down on his decision to work with Donald Trump in the run-up to the US election.

The rapper was criticised earlier this month after it emerged that he was partnering with Trump’s team to develop the president’s Platinum Plan, a four-year programme aiming to help create three million new jobs for black Americans.

On Sunday (25 October), Ice Cube appeared on Fox News, when he repeated his claim that he had been approached by both the Republican and Democratic parties due to his initiative, Contract With Black America, but only Trump’s team had prioritised working with him before the election.

Asked how he responded to accusations that he had sold out, the 51-year-old musician said: “I told everybody that I’m not playing politics with this. I’m willing to meet with anybody who could bring this to life and make it a reality.”

The president’s Platinum Plan pledges to invest $500bn (£283bn) in black communities.

However, the rapper said that he was still undecided as to whether he would be voting for Trump or Biden on 3 November.

Following the initial backlash from fans who criticised him for “working with the Darkside”, the rapper tweeted: “Every side is the Darkside for us here in America.

“They’re all the same until something changes for us,” he continued. “They all lie and they all cheat but we can’t afford not to negotiate with whoever is in power or our condition in this country will never change. Our justice is bipartisan.”