Malden Coronavirus Update: Number Of Cases Rises To 13

Alex Newman

This article originally appeared on the Malden Patch

MALDEN, MA — There are 13 confirmed cases of the coronavirus in Malden as of Thursday, according to the latest numbers from Public Health Director Chris Webb. The city previously reported nine positive cases on Monday.

The ages of the people that tested positive range from 30-82 years old, officials said. There are also 25 residents quarantined because of contact with positive cases.

Additionally, the city has 51 "presumed" cases, Webb said. To date, 62 residents have completed the quarantine or isolation period. Health officials are currently monitoring 89 people, and all are taking the necessary precautionary measures, according to Webb.

The number of cases continues to rise across the state, and additional measures to stem its spread continue to be implemented. The governor has declared a Stay at Home advisory. All non-essential businesses have been closed.

Notably, Middlesex County, of which Malden is a part, has the highest number of positives cases in the Commonwealth (538 as of Thursday) and neighboring Suffolk County, which includes Boston, has the second-highest at 448. There are 2,417 positive cases in the Commonwealth, and some 25 people have died because of complications to the disease.

As more testing becomes available, health officials expect case counts across the state and at home to rise.