Attorney requests mental evaluation for man accused of threatening mass shooting

·3 min read

New information came out in court about the man accused of threatening a mass shooting after the Yo Gotti concert.

Elijah Hyman appeared before a judge on Monday morning and the judge granted Hyman to go under a mental evaluation before returning to court on Aug. 8.

RELATED: MPD stops potential mass shooting event at Yo Gotti concert, rapper responds

The attorney representing Elijah Hyman, Leslie Ballin, told us that Hyman and his family believe the best place for him to be right now is to remain in jail, not because he’s accused of being a criminal but because they are looking at this matter truly as a mental health issue.

“My Hyman reached out for help. He actually flagged down an officer for help,” Ballin said. “He was in crisis. We are working with the prosecutors office to appropriately address the issue in this case.”

Hyman’s family sat quietly in the courtroom while Ballin counseled him.

“The immediate issue is mental health,” he said. “He is going to stay in custody. He is not going to ask to be released on bond. That is for his safety.”

FOX13′s Jeremy Pierre asked Ballin if his parents were in support of him staying in jail.

“Absolutely, his parents are concerned about him,” he said.

Due to the number of modified guns found in Hyman’s apartment, sources told us the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) would stay involved in the investigation.

Ballin said that he is “not at liberty to discuss where we are in that process.”

On Jul. 16 at approximately 4:19 AM, the Memphis Police Department (MPD) responded to an emergency commitment call at Chisca Apartments, which is in the 200 block of Main Street.

Hyman was upset due to a recent breakup with his girlfriend on Jul. 12.

Like the other mass shootings he’s seen on television, Hyman had thoughts of hurting others at a Yo Gotti concert, court documents showed.

In frustration, he broke the east-facing window with his right fist.

Shortly after, the man called police to get help, according to an affidavit.

RELATED: Expert on how ATF will assist MPD after potential mass shooting stopped

Hyman was taken to Regional One for treatment in non-critical condition.

When officers arrived at the apartment, they found several large caliber weapons lying in plain view, some of which had been modified, including a 9mm Glock with a rifle stock added and a 60-round drum.

MPD also noticed the apartment had been set up with binoculars in the window, giving him a direct sight to the FedExForum, and surrounding parking lots, according to an affidavit.

Hyman was previously charged with only commissioning acts of terrorism. Late Sunday evening on July 17, he has since been charged with 30 counts of attempted first-degree murder, and 30 counts of possession of a firearm.

Ballin requested a mental evaluation for Hyman and said he hopes to have the results back before Hyman’s next court appearance on Aug. 8.

Download the FOX13 Memphis app to receive alerts from breaking news in your neighborhood.


Trending stories: