A man is facing kidnapping charges for allegedly picking up a girl, kissing her and walking away with her. WBZ-TV's Nick Emmons reports.
- A man is behind bars on kidnapping charges after police say that he tried to take a child in Jamaica Plain. Investigators say the four-year-old was playing last night when a man picked her up, kissed her on the cheek, and began walking away with her. As WBZ's Nick Emmons reports, that's when some neighbors stepped in.
NICK EMMONS: Yeah, neighbors say a few men chased down that suspect, eventually holding him here on this street corner until police arrived. That suspect now facing multiple charges, including attempted kidnapping. According to the police report, it happened here at a housing complex around 7:00 o'clock Sunday night. Families were out enjoying the weather when a stranger walked by, picked up a four-year-old girl, kissed her on the cheek, and began to walk away.
Within moments, family members jumped into action, chasing after the man.
- They were going after him, then started, you know, punching him, pushing him against the fence.
NICK EMMONS: A witness, who didn't want to go on camera, says he watched two men beat the suspect until officers arrived.
- But then they started both punching him and kicking him. He kept repeating that, you know, he didn't do anything, and he just wanted to be left alone.
NICK EMMONS: The suspect has been identified as 31-year-old Anthony Jackson. He hid behind a door in court today as a psychologist outlined his mental illness. The prosecution says there are other ongoing cases against Jackson, all involving exposing himself.
- It's definitely frightening that those things are happening.
NICK EMMONS: Back here in this Jamaica Plain neighborhood, residents are shaken about what played out on a street where so many families live.
- It's scary. I mean, you don't want to see that happening anywhere.
- So it's scary for a parent to have their child around the streets and then people like that out there.
NICK EMMONS: And Jackson is being held without bail pending an evaluation. In Jamaica Plain, I'm Nick Emmons, WBZ News.