Man arrested after fatal road rage incident Friday involving 'hearse-style' vehicle

A man was arrested on a first-degree murder complaint after a fatal road rage incident on Friday.
A man was arrested on a first-degree murder complaint after a fatal road rage incident on Friday.

A road rage incident Friday between the driver of a pickup and someone in a hearse-style vehicle ended in the death of one man and the arrest of another.

While police said they routinely are contacted about road rage incidents, Friday's is at least the second so far this year that turned deadly.

On Friday, 31-year-old Devyn Hinkle was found lying outside of his vehicle at 2:35 p.m. near the intersection of NW 10 and Meridian Avenue after he had been shot several times.

He was taken to an area hospital where he died.

Witnesses told police the other vehicle involved in the dispute was a "hearse-style" vehicle, which led officers to a house in the 2100 block of NW 35.

Police found a hearse there and arrested a 25-year-old man on a first-degree murder complaint. The Oklahoman isn't naming the man because he has not yet been charged.

"I know some type of road rage led up to the shooting, where multiple rounds were fired at the victim," police Sgt. Dillon Quirk said Monday.

Quirk said he didn't know how many road rage incidents happen in Oklahoma City annually, but added police are regularly contacted after altercations between drivers happen.

"We work road-rage incidents all the time," said Quirk, who added that he isn't sure the department tracks how many become fatal.

The earlier road-rage incident that turned deadly happened Sept. 26, when police were called to SE 43 and High Avenue at 6:22 p.m. after a vehicle that was being driven by a friend of Felipe Palacios broke down and blocked a roadway, upsetting another driver behind them.

More:Oklahoma drivers ranked 4th in worst road rage

Police said Palacios and the second vehicle's driver exchanged words, before the second motorist shot and killed Palacios before fleeing the scene.

As officers were interviewing witnesses, the accused shooter returned to the scene and surrendered. Authorities since have charged that man, Jason Mercer, 35, with first-degree murder.

While the man involved in Friday's altercation did not return to the scene, the unique vehicle involved is what enabled officers to make a quick arrest, Quirk said.

"Witnesses were able to give detailed descriptions about what that vehicle looked like, and tips from the public led them to an address where the person was taken into custody," Quirk said.

This article originally appeared on Oklahoman: 'Hearse-style' vehicle leads police to arrest after road rage shooting