Man charged with assaulting woman waiting in St. Paul fast food drive-thru, same place he stabbed a man in ’19

·2 min read

Prosecutors say a 45-year man “brutally attacked” a 70-year-old woman for not pulling her car forward in the drive-through of a St. Paul Burger King — the same place he stabbed a man in 2019.

Jason John Morales grabbed the woman by the hair on the back of her head and tried “yanking her out of the car window,” according to a criminal complaint charging him with first-degree attempted aggravated robbery and third-degree assault in the June 26 case.

She was left with a “very large area” of hair missing from the back of her head, the complaint said.

Morales, of St. Paul, is on supervised probation until July 19, 2024, a sentence he received after being convicted of stabbing a man in the stomach and chest inside the Burger King at 695 E. Seventh St. in 2019.

The woman in the recent case told St. Paul police officers that Burger King employees asked her to pull forward to wait for her order. Morales then pulled up to the window behind her.

After a few minutes, Morales began to yell at the woman to move. She said she responded by telling him she’d been asked to pull forward to wait, and that there was plenty of room for him to go around her car.

Morales reached in the woman’s car and, when he couldn’t open the door, he reached in again and grabbed the woman by the hair on the back of her head and tried “yanking her out of the car window,” the charges read. He then drove out of the parking lot.

According to a February 2019 criminal complaint, Morales and a 36-year-old man got into a beef at the Listening House drop-in homeless shelter before it spilled over to the nearby Burger King. A witness described Morales as being the aggressor during the incident.

Morales pleaded guilty to second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon and his attorney argued for a dispositional departure, which he received. Ramsey County District Judge Robert Awsumb sentenced Morales to 21 months in prison and stayed the term in lieu of five years of probation, which came with several conditions, including that he stay out of trouble.

After he was charged in the June case, a probation officer recommended in a court motion that the stayed sentence be vacated. A hearing is scheduled for next month.

Morales was jailed as of Wednesday and his attorney could not be reached for comment.

Related Articles