Man police said fled the scene of a deadly home invasion 9 months ago in St. Charles now captured, facing multiple charges along with another suspect

Mike Mantucca/Chicago Tribune/TNS

A second suspect in a deadly home invasion in St. Charles earlier this year has been apprehended, police said.

Jose Melendez, of the 2500 block of North McClean Boulevard in Elgin, was arrested Wednesday by members of the Kane County Sheriff’s Office for his alleged involvement in the January shooting that left one man dead and another injured, St. Charles police officials said in a news release.

Melendez is charged with attempted first-degree murder, aggravated unlawful restraint, home invasion and possession of a weapon or ammunition by a convicted felon, Kane County court records show.

On Jan. 14 around 7:40 p.m., St. Charles police responded to a call of shots fired inside an apartment in the 100 block of Walnut Drive and found several people inside the apartment.

Lindenhurst resident James Gherardini, 26, had a gunshot wound to his chest and was being dragged out of the apartment by Panagiotis Koutroumbis, 26, also of Lindenhurst, police said.

Gherardini was treated at the scene by paramedics and taken to Northwestern Medicine Delnor Hospital, where he was pronounced dead, officials said.

Investigators learned that Gherardini, Koutroumbis and Melendez had allegedly entered the apartment through an unlocked sliding glass door, police said.

The men allegedly zip-tied the hands of several residents inside the apartment and demanded items from them, police said.

A resident inside the apartment called a 25-year-old St. Charles man on a cell phone. When the man entered the apartment, he was confronted by the three suspects and at least one allegedly shot at him, police said.

The man used a firearm to shoot toward the offenders, and police said it is believed the individual struck Gheradini in the abdomen during an exchange of gunfire.

The man was also struck in the abdomen and was taken to the hospital before police arrived. He was treated at the hospital and survived.

Koutrombis was charged in January with attempted first-degree murder, home invasion and aggravated unlawful restraint, court records show.

Melendez allegedly fled the scene prior to police arriving and investigators began to work to secure an arrest warrant for him. He was located Wednesday and taken into custody.

Melendez is due back in court on Dec. 1.