A man surprised his partner with a marriage proposal at the New York Presbyterian Hospital in their daughter’s room at the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) on Thursday, February 11.
According to the hospital, Teon Kennedy had big plans to propose to his girlfriend, Martine Drouillard, before the COVID-19 pandemic hit.
Kennedy’s proposal plans were put on hold after Drouillard gave birth to baby Morgan in April 2020, who was then moved to the NICU. The couple grew close to the NICU staff and Kennedy decided to recruit the entire care team to help him with his proposal.
This video shows dozens of staff members greeting Drouillard as she walks into her daughter’s room, where Kennedy is waiting with an engagement ring. Credit: New York-Presbyterian Hospital via Storyful
- We originally had a baby shower planned, and I was going to propose, and because she gave birth at 24 weeks, we weren't able to hold a baby shower. Our daughter, Morgan, was born prematurely, and she's been in the NICU for 10 months, and she's been making tremendous progress here at New York Presbyterian. Today, I'm going to ask her mom to marry me so we can live the rest of our lives together.
- Promise to continue to show you affection through the simplest of touches and the strongest of words.
- Oh, I'm so [INAUDIBLE]. Oh my god.
- No way. No way.
- She said yes.
Thank you all. Thank you all.
- It happening here with Morgan present and for her to be dressed for the occasion and to be awake, they treat us so well here, and for them to make this moment just that more special, I'm so happy. So happy.
- Before a baby comes, usually a mother gets so much love and attention. She didn't get any of that. Today was the day she was able to get all that she missed in the last 300 days.
- We love you.