Martinsville's Chelonian Ranch provides sanctuary for turtles and tortoises

MARTINSVILLE - For as long as he can remember, Christopher Hunt has been intrigued by turtles.

His affection for the slow-moving reptiles grew and he learned as much as he could about them. This fascination soon turned into a passion for conservation, leading Hunt to California where he developed an extensive knowledge of various turtle and tortoise species while volunteering at Turtle Conservancy, one of the largest turtle conservation organizations in the country.

"I got to work with 700 tortoises, believe it or not, all within the top 40 of the most endangered, so I gained a lot of experience out there," Hunt said.

Although the Martinsville native left southern Indiana in 2013 to pursue an acting career in California, that did not stop him from rescuing turtles and wanting to always be around them.

Lawrence County news:Council votes 3-3 against raising employee wages in 2023 budget

Education and conservation

After moving back to Martinsville a year ago, Hunt decided to start his own nonprofit organization to rescue, foster and rehabilitate turtles and tortoises. Situated on six and a half acres in Martinsville, Hunt cares for 61 turtles and tortoises. He named the sanctuary Chelonian Ranch.

"I've always had this dream of starting the sanctuary," Hunt said. "I love turtles, they just fascinate me. I've never been without a turtle or tortoise my whole life since I've been 7 years old."

Hunt aims to run the ranch as a hub for educational outreach and conservation practices. Hunt is passionate about doing his part to help conserve as many turtles and tortoises from around the world.

"Out of over 325 different species of turtles, three-quarters of them are on the endangered list. They're all endangered pretty much. It is the No. 1 animal in the animal kingdom that has such a broad species within its taxonomy that is endangered," Hunt said.

The ranch features several different types of turtles and tortoises, including African Spurred Tortoises (the third-largest tortoises in the world), common snapping turtles, Eastern Hermann's Tortoises and more varieties requiring specific care.

Hunt also teaches the public how to properly care for pet turtles. Although the circumstances differ, turtles are typically surrendered due to a lack of knowledge.

"I never would have thought that once I went public there was that big of a need for rescuing. The biggest one is Red-Eared Slider Turtles because Petco and pet stores sell these as little cute 4-inch turtles. People don't realize that they get over 12 inches in size when they are bigger and require a minimum of a 100-gallon tank," Hunt said. "So they get very expensive and they need a lot of room. People don't realize that because the pet stores don't explain it to them and people haven't done the research."

Hunt also provides medical care for injured turtles that wind up on the ranch.

"I do get injured turtles and tortoises, especially Box Turtles. So I do get some in with cracked shells or missing feet, believe it or not," Hunt said. "I work with a vet who gives me some medicine and has trained me a little bit on some of the proper care. So I do mend cracked shells and things of that nature and then I have to rehabilitate them for the next three to six months because turtles' metabolisms are very slow so they heal slowly."

For more severe injuries, Hunt brings his turtles to All Wild Things Exotic Animal Hospital in Indianapolis. This is also where the turtles undergo veterinary check-ups.

Hunt said he has been surprised by need for his sanctuary.

"At first, I didn't expect it to hit this hard and grow this quickly," Hunt shared.

Within the last two months, Hunt has taken in 15 turtles and tortoises. Word is getting out as well. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission approached Hunt about the possibility of becoming an adopting partner.

A lifelong dedication

Hunt has gone to Iowa and Minnesota to pick up turtles and tortoises to bring back to Martinsville to stay at his growing ranch.

"I usually do a lot of traveling because I find that most people don't have the time or the want to drive them to me. So I end up having to go pick them up," Hunt said. "I get messages that if I don't come and pick them up myself, then they're going to release them, which you never want to do because either they won't survive or they become an invasive species. Or they are going to give them to somebody who, like them, doesn't have enough knowledge. So I end up giving in and picking these turtles up myself."

Hunt intends for the turtles he rehabilitates to spend the rest of their lives at the ranch. Hunt does allow some water turtles to be adopted but all box turtles and tortoises remain on the ranch.

Looking ahead to the future, Hunt said he hopes to expand so he can continue helping as many turtles and tortoises as possible through education, outreach and conservation.

This article originally appeared on The Reporter Times: Chelonian Ranch turtle sanctuary in Martinsville fills growing need