Massive fire engulfs Bar Harbor hotel

·1 min read

Feb. 10—The annex building of the Bluenose Inn in Bar Harbor collapsed on Thursday after a fire broke out and tore through its roof.

Smoke could be seen from miles around.

Multiple departments from surrounding Hancock County towns responded to help to fight the four-alarm fire, which appeared to have caused damage to the entire annex building directly across the parking lot from the inn's main building.

A fire broke out at the Bluenose Inn in Bar Harbor on Thursday afternoon. Credit: Bill Trotter / BDN

The main building burned down in March 1994, when it was closed for the winter, and was later rebuilt. That fire was caused by a propane heater in the basement of the building.

On Thursday, part of the north end of the building collapsed around 4 p.m. as some of the building's support beams turned to charcoal.

Huge plumes of smoke, fanned by occasional gusts of wind, billowed east toward Route 3 and College of the Atlantic. Students and staff at the school stood by the side of the road, which had been blocked off to traffic, to watch as flames poked through the smoke.

Ellsworth firefighter Gary Fortier is on the scene of a blaze at the Bluenose Inn in Bar Harbor Thursday afternoon. Credit: Bill Trotter/ BDN

The inn is owned by Lafayette Hotels and is presently closed for winter. No one was inside the building.

Firefighters were still at the scene at around 6 p.m. spraying the building with water, causing big plumes of smoke and steam to continue billowing into the surrounding area.

More articles from the BDN