Massive Fire Tears Through Staten Island Factory

Officials said the blaze broke out at around 2:30 p.m. and grew to five alarms. CBS2's Aundrea Cline-Thomas reports.

Video Transcript

AUNDREA CLINE-THOMAS: Good evening. I'm Dana Tyler. We begin with breaking news tonight on Staten Island, where firefighters are battling a massive fire at a warehouse. And right now, the FDNY is asking residents in nearby neighborhoods to keep their windows closed. Let's get right to the scene. CBS 2's Aundrea Cline-Thomas is live there in Mariners Harbor with more. Aundrea?

AUNDREA CLINE-THOMAS: Well, Dana, I want you to go ahead and take a look. Firefighters are still working very hard here. It may seem as though there's only smoke here, but fire officials tell us that the fire is still not under control. There are deep pockets of fire within that warehouse. Now, there are also concerns about the building possibly collapsing. At its height, there were nearly 200 fire and EMS personnel right here on the scene.

Now, take a look from the view from Chopper 2 earlier this afternoon. You can see black smoke blanketing the sky as flames billow out of the warehouse. The fire spread to the cars parked in front of the building. Now, fire officials say there was a woodworking shop, an oil storage facility, and a recycling facility run out of the warehouse. It's unknown where the fire started. Extra precautions are being taken because of the possibility of hazardous materials inside.

Now, as a result, firefighters are maintaining an outside approach, they call this technique "surround and drown" as they try to douse the flames from the perimeter. Another issue was water pressure, which eventually was resolved. Now, across the street is a residential neighborhood, and you can see, neighbors were out of their house, watching that fire just grow.

Now, fire officials first got the call around 2:30 this afternoon, and they'll be out here for many more hours. We do have to tell you that there were workers inside of the building. All of them got out safely, and are accounted for. But we have learned two firefighters were injured, one with a back injury, the other one had a hand injury. One EMS member had smoke inhalation. All three were transported to area hospitals.

Now, the fire marshal will investigate once it's safe to go inside, but as you see, it's still very much of an active scene. Reporting live from Staten Island, Aundrea Cline-Thomas, CBN 2 News.

DANA TYLER: Aundrea, thank you.