Maurice Hogan (1928-2021)

Brooks Sutherland, The Blade, Toledo, Ohio
·3 min read

May 5—Maurice Hogan, a Korean War veteran who, after years of working as a butcher, returned to school at age 38 and became a teacher in Sylvania and eventually rose to lead the teachers' union there, died April 23 at Hospice of Northwest Ohio. He was 92.

The cause of Mr. Hogan's death was not formally determined, but he never fully recovered from coronavirus after testing positive in November, said his niece Judith LaPorte.

Born in Toledo in 1928, Mr. Hogan soon moved with his family to Oregon, where he lived the rest of his life. After graduating Central Catholic High School in 1946 and serving in the Army in Korea, he started work at Hogan's Grocery, a local store owned by his parents, Thomas and Blanche Hogan.

His meat-cutting career took him to Kroger for several years as well, but as the grocery industry tilted toward sale of prepackaged meat and needed less from retail butchers, Mr. Hogan decided to go back to school.

"He saw the writing on the wall, and he had always enjoyed math, and he loved the problem-solving, and the quantitative process of math, and he just wanted to be the best that he could be," Ms. LaPorte said.

Mr. Hogan obtained bachelor's and master's degrees in education in 1969 and 1974, respectively, from the University of Toledo. He taught math at Sylvania High School and, after its 1976 split into Northview and Southview high schools, at both of those schools as well. Along with classwork, he promoted the high schools' ski club and boosted its membership from 60 to 230 in just three years.

In 1978 he won the President's Trophy Award for his work as the president of the Sylvania Education Association.


"He was so dedicated to his students," Ms. LaPorte said. "He still gets Christmas cards from students."

Known affectionately as "Uncle Morey" by his nieces and nephews, Mr. Hogan was described as kind and friendly by his peers. But above all, he was a devoted family man.

Ms. LaPorte recalled her uncle's college graduation, which coincided with her graduation from preschool as a 4-year-old. The family planned a party for Mr. Hogan's graduation, but the young girl, who had also received a cap and gown for graduating preschool, wondered why she too didn't have a party planned in her honor.

Uncle Morey changed that.

"I was sad because we were throwing a party for Uncle Morey and we weren't throwing a party for me," Ms. LaPorte said with a laugh. "And then he said, 'Well I will share my party with you.' And so he shared his college graduation party with me because I graduated from preschool."

In his free time, Mr. Hogan enjoyed golf, driving around in his Corvette — which he still drove until he caught coronavirus — and sang in the choir at St. Joseph Catholic Church, where he was a devout and loyal parishioner.

Ms. LaPorte said her uncle loved the Oregon community, and the deep history his family, the Drouillards, had in discovering the city.

"There was no other place for him," she said.

Mr. Hogan had no immediate survivors.

His family will receive visitors after 4 p.m. Friday at Eggleston Meinert and Pavley Funeral Home in Oregon. A funeral Mass will begin at 9:30 a.m. Saturday in St. Joseph Catholic Church, with visitation resuming at 8:30 a.m. in the church.

The family suggests tributes to St. Louis Helping Hands Kitchen or to the Salesians Club.