Journalists waking up to migrant mess; reporters challenge Biden aides on migrants.
- The Telegraph
A lot changed in the Duke’s 99 years: the Beatles, the Pill, Google and Brexit. Philip was a rare constant, which is one of the basic strengths of the monarchy. Prime ministers come and go – Elizabeth II has seen 14 during her reign so far – but princes are for life, and that life becomes a way of measuring the story of our own. Monarchy was going out of style when Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark was born in Corfu on June 10, 1921. Europe had been through war and Spanish flu; Greece was fighting over the remains of the Ottoman Empire. Defeat in that conflict forced Philip’s uncle, King Constantine I of Greece, to abandon his throne. The family fled to Britain by ship, a fruit box doubling as a cot for Philip. Contrary to the coziness of Downton Abbey, the 1920s was really an age of revolution. Britain still had an empire, but Ireland won independence and India sought it. America was emerging as an economic power. Russia had fallen to the Reds. In 1937, when his sister and most of her family were killed in a plane crash, Philip travelled to Germany for the funeral, to find himself surrounded by swastikas. The German people saw Hitler as “attractive”, he later rationalised, because he offered false “hope” after the misery of the Great Depression. His own, utter rejection of fascism was proven in battle: only a few years later, he was fighting in the Mediterranean. Britain emerged victorious from the Second World War, but at a price. When Philip married Princess Elizabeth in 1947, the country was desperately poor, and their wedding, much like the coronation of 1953, was a glamorous distraction from the grim reality of everyday life. The monarchy, however, couldn’t just be a throwback to Medieval splendour: the Prince was among those who knew it must change to survive. Rituals that were once the preserve of the establishment were now broadcast on TV, and the Royal Family, which had hitherto refused to let daylight upon the magic, consented to a fly-on-the-wall documentary in 1969. Some felt it went too far: in one of its most charmingly awkward scenes, the Queen and Prince Philip swapped framed photographs with Richard Nixon on a visit to the UK.
- The State
The Cup Series completed 42 laps after a long rain delay and before the skies opened up again Saturday night.
Even with social distancing there was plenty of humour, glamour and surprises at the virtual event.
A man has spent 100 days locked in a room on a livestream. He says he'll do it for 5 years for $5 million as a custom piece of live wall art.
Tim Inzana plans to spend all of 2021 locked in the room as an experiment that shows he's serious about the offer.
- USA TODAY
Truckers and regular consumers want a lot of the same things: easy access, clean bathrooms and good food. These offer all those features and more.
- LA Times
The Angels waited out a rain delay that pushed back the first pitch by more than 2½ hours and then were crushed 15-1 by the Toronto Blue Jays on Saturday.
Dismissed for decades by critics as a country bumpkin who loves silly carnival costumes, Bavarian leader Markus Soeder said on Sunday that he was willing to run as the conservative candidate for German chancellor, provided he had the bloc's full backing. Angela Merkel, who has clocked up four election victories and led Europe's biggest economy for 16 years, is not standing for a fifth term when Germany goes to the polls in September. This means the parliamentary bloc formed by her Christian Democrats (CDU) and their sister party, Bavaria's Christian Social Union (CSU), must decide on a candidate.
- USA TODAY
Easter Sunday. U.S. outpaces Canada in vaccines. How to watch SAG Awards. It's the weekend's biggest news.
A 24-year-old student in Seoul died after a 'ghost surgeon' illegally performed jawline-altering surgery on him
Ghost surgery is illegal, but, as CNN found, the laws around it are weak - and the practice offers clinics a way to maximize their profits.
A former Minneapolis police officer said he quit days before the Derek Chauvin trial because he thinks protesters will 'burn the city down' no matter the case's outcome
The former sergeant told Insider that he believed there would be rioting at the close of Chauvin's murder trial and that he feared getting killed.
- USA TODAY
A Windsor police officer accused of pepper-spraying a Black and Latino military officer and forcing him to the ground in December has been fired.
- The Week
Virginia police officer fired after violent stop of Black Army officer. Governor calls for state investigation.
The town of Windsor, Virginia, said Sunday that one officer has been fired and another disciplined over an arrest in December that went viral on social media over the weekend. Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam (D) said earlier Sunday that video of the traffic stop, in which Army Lt. Caron Nazario was pepper-sprayed at gunpoint by two officers, "is disturbing and angered me," and he said he has directed the Virginia State Police to investigate the incident. Nazario, who is Black and Latino, is also suing the officers, Joe Gutierrez and Daniel Crocker, in federal court. Gutierrez and Crocker pulled Nazario over in Windsor on Dec. 5, 2020, because his brand new SUV did not have permanent license plates. At one point, Nazario, in his Army uniform, told the officers he was afraid to get out of the car, video from Nazario's cellphone and the officers' body cameras show. "Yeah, you should be," one of the officers responded. Gutierrez, who pepper-sprayed Nazario inside his car before arresting him, did not follow Windsor police procedures and was "terminated from his employment," the town of Windsor said in a statement. Nazario was released without charge. In a federal lawsuit filed April 2, Nazario argues excessive force by the officers violated his constitutional rights and says the officers threatened to end his military career if he spoke out about the arrest, The Washington Post reports. He is seeking at least $1 million in damages. Windsor, a town of about 2,600 about 30 miles west of Norfolk, "acknowledges the unfortunate events that transpired," and "department-wide requirements for additional training were implemented beginning in January and continue up to the present," Windsor officials said in a statement Sunday night. "The Town of Windsor prides itself in its small-town charm and the community-wide respect of its police department," the statement added. "Due to this, we are saddened for events like this to cast our community in a negative light." More stories from theweek.comTrump finally jumps the sharkYou should start a keyhole gardenBiden is reportedly vetting Cindy McCain for an ambassadorship in Rome
- The Daily Beast
Nick Pfosi via ReutersPolice in the Minneapolis suburb of Brooklyn Center fatally shot a Black 20-year-old man during a traffic stop on Sunday afternoon, setting off a string of violent protests amid tensions over the Derek Chauvin murder trial. The victim’s mother spent much of Sunday afternoon at the scene of the fatal shooting, pleading with officers to remove the body of her son, Daunte Wright, from the pavement. Hours after the shooting, hundreds of residents surrounded the police headquarters and clashed with police, who responded with tear gas and flashbangs reminiscent of last summer’s protests after the police death of George Floyd. “He got out of the car, and his girlfriend said they shot him,” Katie Wright said, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune. “He got back in the car, and he drove away and crashed and now he’s dead on the ground since 1:47... Nobody will tell us anything. Nobody will talk to us... I said please take my son off the ground.”Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz and Brooklyn Center Mayor Mike Elliott also identified Wright as the victim of Sunday’s incident. On Sunday night, Brooklyn Center Mayor Mike Elliott called the shooting “tragic” and urged both police and protesters to remain peaceful.“Our hearts are with his family, and with all those in our community impacted by this tragedy,” Elliott tweeted. “While we await additional information from the BCA who is leading the investigation, we continue to ask that members of our community gathering do so peacefully, amid our calls for transparency and accountability.”The Brooklyn Center Police Department said the incident occurred shortly before 2 p.m. after officers initiated a stop for a traffic violation. Wright’s mother said that during the stop, her son called her to tell her he had been pulled over because an air freshener was allegedly hanging in his rear-view mirror—which is an offense in Minnesota. “He called me at about 1:30. He said he was getting pulled over by the police. And I said why you getting pulled over. And he said they pulled him over because he had air fresheners hanging from his rear-view mirror. I said, ‘OK take them down,’” Wright said, adding that she could hear a scuffle break out and someone yelling, “Daunte, don’t run.” When she called back, her son was dead.Police say that during a name check, they discovered Wright had an outstanding arrest warrant. As tried to take him into custody, Wright re-entered his car—prompting an officer to discharge his weapon. Wright then drove several blocks before “striking another vehicle,” police said in a press release. “Officers in pursuit and responding medical personnel attempting life-saving measures, but the person died at the scene.”Police also noted that a female passenger who was in the car was injured during the crash and she was transported to another hospital. The occupants of the other car were unharmed. It is not immediately clear why police opened fire or if Wright was presumed to be armed, or what the arrest warrant was for.Protests then broke out despite Wright’s family pleading for calm. By nightfall, police fired rounds of tear gas, rubber bullets, and flashbangs at around 500 protesters who had gathered near the Brooklyn Center police headquarters and defaced the signage. Brooklyn Center also issued a 6 a.m. curfew in an attempt to curtail the violence, but that effort was largely unsuccessful after many of the protesters retreated into nearby residential areas, according to the Star Tribune. Around midnight, National Guard troops tried to secure the area as looters stormed a nearby Walmart store. Local media reports that many nearby businesses, including a Foot Locker and New York clothing store, were damaged in the ensuing violence. Department of Public Safety Commissioner John Harrington alongside State Patrol and Hennepin County officers said early Monday that the Guard would remain “robust” for the next “two or three days.”Wright’s mother called for calm, telling the gathering crowds: “All the violence, if it keeps going it’s only going to be about the violence. We need it to be about why my son got shot for no reason. We need to make sure it’s about him and not about smashing police cars, because that’s not going to bring my son back.”By early morning, the protests had spread to southern Minneapolis and were gaining strength in numbers ahead of first light. Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz said he is “closely monitoring” events and Brooklyn Center Mayor Elliott called on police to avoid using force against peaceful protesters. The curfew in Brooklyn Center has since been lifted. Brooklyn Center Community Schools have pivoted to remote learning on Monday “out of an abundance of caution,” Superintendent Carly Baker wrote on the school’s website. “I haven’t entirely processed the tragedy that took place in our community and I’m prioritizing the safety and well-being of our students, families, staff members, and community members,” he added.The American Civil Liberties Union of Minnesota on Monday demanded an “immediate, transparent and independent investigation by an outside agency,” adding that the body-camera footage belonging to all the officers involved in the shooting should be released immediately. The group also called that the names of the officers be released. “We have concerns that police appear to have used dangling air fresheners as an excuse for making a pretextual stop, something police do too often to target Black people,” the ACLU of Minnesota tweeted. For Wright’s family, however, the initial shock of losing the 20-year-old is still overwhelming. “He was so goofy. He just makes everybody happy,” Wright’s sister told citizen journalist outlet Unicorn Riot. “They took my brother away from me.… I’m so hurt, they really just took him.… I still can’t believe it. I’m still feeling like I’m going to go home and see him. It really hurts.”Read more at The Daily Beast.Got a tip? Send it to The Daily Beast hereGet our top stories in your inbox every day. Sign up now!Daily Beast Membership: Beast Inside goes deeper on the stories that matter to you. Learn more.
A former Minneapolis police officer said Derek Chauvin violated protocol kneeling on George Floyd's neck, but he doesn't think the officer committed a crime
The former officer, who spoke with Insider on condition of anonymity, said he believed Floyd died of a drug overdose.
- Associated Press
La Soufriere volcano fired an enormous amount of ash and hot gas early Monday in the biggest explosive eruption yet since volcanic activity began on the eastern Caribbean island of St. Vincent late last week, with officials worried about the lives of those who have refused to evacuate. Experts called it a “huge explosion” that generated pyroclastic flows down the volcano’s south and southwest flanks. “It’s destroying everything in its path,” Erouscilla Joseph, director of the University of the West Indies’ Seismic Research Center, told The Associated Press.
- The Telegraph
Iran’s foreign minister on Monday vowed vengeance against Israel for an explosion a day earlier at the Natanz nuclear site that he blamed directly on Tehran’s arch enemy. “The Zionists want to take revenge because of our progress in the way to lift sanctions ... they have publicly said that they will not allow this. But we will take our revenge from the Zionists,” Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif was quoted as saying by state TV. Israel has all but claimed responsibility for the apparent sabotage operation that damaged the electricity grid at the Natanz site on Sunday, with multiple Israeli outlets reporting that Mossad carried out the operation, which is believed to have shut down entire sections of the facility. The sabotage could set back uranium enrichment at the facility by at least nine months, US officials briefed on the operation told the New York Times. Iran on Monday said the person who caused the power outage at one of the production halls at Natanz had been identified. "Necessary measures are being taken to arrest this person," the semi-official Nournews website reported, without giving further details.
The Virginia police officer who was filmed pepper-spraying a uniformed Black Army officer after holding him at gunpoint has been fired
Gov. Ralph Northam of Virginia has also ordered an independent investigation into the traffic stop involving 2nd Lt. Caron Nazario.
Insider asked "Fear TWD" co-showrunners Ian Goldberg and Andrew Chambliss if we could see Morgan back on the flagship series for its final season.
- Business Insider
For Boehner, a jovial, backslapping politician who is known to publicly cry, McConnell's steely and to-the-point demeanor is quite a contrast.
A 911 dispatcher in Louisiana was arrested after authorities say she refused to return $1.2 million that was accidentally deposited into her account
According to a lawsuit filed last week says Charles Schwab mistakenly transferred the woman more than $1.2 million. It meant to transfer $82.56.