SHOWS: LEMOORE, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (SEPTEMBER 21, 2019)(WORLD SURF LEAGUE - SEE RESTRICTIONS ABOVE)
SURF RANCH WAVEPOOL - FINAL DAY OF WORLD SURF LEAGUE (WSL) CHAMPIONSHIP TOUR FRESHWATER PRO
1. GABRIEL MEDINA (BRAZIL) SURF RUN - WOULD WIN MEN'S TITLE
2. MEDINA BEING CARRIED WHILE CELEBRATING WIN
3. MEDINA AND SECOND PLACED FINISHER FILIPE TOLEDO POSING FOR PHOTOS ON PODIUM WITH TROPHIES
4. FILIPE TOLEDO (BRAZIL) SURF RUN
5. LAKEY PETERSON (USA) SURF RUN - WOULD WIN WOMEN'S TITLE
6. PETERSON HUGGING 2ND PLACED FINISHER JOHANNE DEFAY
7. PETERSON AND DEFAY POSING FOR PHOTO ON PODIUM WITH TROPHIES
8. JOHANNE DEFAY (FRANCE) SURF RUN
STORY: Brazil's Gabriel Medina and American Lakey Peterson claimed wins at the World Surf League Freshwater Pro Saturday (September 21) at the Surf Ranch wavepool in California.
The victory vaulted Medina into the WSL men's Championship Tour (CT) lead from fourth place while Peterson moved into second place in the women's CT standings with her win.
Medina, the 2014 and 2018 WSL men's champ, won the final round with his best two rides scoring 9.93 and 8.93 for a total of 18.86 (out of 20) to easily defeat countryman Filipe Toledo's 17.33. Australian Owen Wright finished in third with American Griffin Colapinto fourth.
Peterson clinched the win with a 9.33 on her final run to add to her earlier best of 8.70 for a total of 18.03 to narrowly better France's Johanne Defay's 17.60. American women's CT leader Carissa Moore placed third with fast rising 15-year-old Caroline Marks fourth.
Both the men's and the women's CT makes it's next stop at the Quicksilver Pro France, scheduled for October 3-13.
(Production: David Grip)