The duchess flew back to Canada last Thursday to rejoin her 8-month-old son Archie, who had stayed in the country following the family’s 6-week break there.
Prince Harry remained in the U.K. to join the royal family’s so-called “Sandringham summit,” where they discussed his future.
It had been speculated that Prince Harry’s wife might participate via a video conference link.
But on Tuesday it was confirmed that the 38-year-old did not in fact take part in the discussion.
“In the end, the Sussexes decided that it wasn't necessary for the duchess to join,” a representative for Buckingham Palace told Yahoo U.K.
Those who did attend the meeting with Queen Elizabeth II included Prince Harry, Prince Charles and Prince William.
The latter two were pictured leaving the meeting at Sandringham, the family’s country estate in Norfolk, Monday afternoon.
The meeting was followed up by a statement from the queen which detailed the outcome of the “constructive discussions.”
Speaking on behalf of the royal family, the monarch said they were “entirely supportive of Harry and Meghan’s desire to create a new life as a young family.
“Although we would have preferred them to remain full-time working Members of the Royal Family, we respect and understand their wish to live a more independent life as a family while remaining a valued part of my family,” she added.
However, there are still many questions regarding Harry and Meghan’s future which remain unanswered.
Read more from Yahoo Lifestyle:
Want daily pop culture news delivered to your inbox? Sign up here for Yahoo Entertainment & Lifestyle’s newsletter.