Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will officially be in the U.K. to celebrate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations, along with their children, Lili and Archie. A Sussex spokesperson revealed, per royal reporter Omid Scobie, “Prince Harry and Meghan, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are excited and honored to attend The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations this June with their children.”
From a Sussex spokesperson: "Prince Harry and Meghan, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are excited and honoured to attend The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations this June with their children."
— Omid Scobie (@scobie) May 6, 2022
There’s one caveat though: The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will not be joining the Queen on the balcony with the other working senior royal family members during Trooping the Colour.
A palace source explained to People that Meghan, Harry, Lili, and Archie were not invited to join solely because Meghan and Harry are not working members of the royal family anymore. The couple stepped back from their senior working royal family roles in 2020. Prince Andrew, who also isn’t a working royal family member, will also not join.
A Buckingham Palace spokesperson said, “After careful consideration, the Queen has decided that this year’s traditional Trooping the Colour balcony appearance on Thursday 2nd of June will be limited to Her Majesty and those members of the Royal Family who are currently undertaking official public duties on behalf of the Queen.”
During his Today Show interview last month, Harry addressed how he wasn’t sure if his family would come over from California for Trooping the Colour, in part due to security concerns. “There’s lots of things, security issues and everything else,” he said. “So this is what I’m trying to do— trying to make it possible that I can get my kids [Lili and Archie] to meet her [the Queen].”
Harry’s lawyers argued during a hearing in February that the Duke does not feel safe bringing his family to Britain since he is not allowed to pay for police protection out of pocket for them. He is fighting in court for the right to pay for police protection so they can visit.
He claimed “his private security team in the U.S. doesn’t have adequate jurisdiction abroad or access to U.K. intelligence information,” per the Associated Press. As ABC 7 pointed out, senior royal family members are provided taxpayer-funded police protection. Since Harry and Meghan stepped back from those roles, they lost that privilege—but it seems some kind of deal was likely brokered so the family could safely attend the Queen’s Jubilee.
You Might Also Like