It's over, folks.
Megyn Kelly enjoyed a steady career at Fox News for 13 years, but she lasted a little over 18 months at competitor NBC.
The controversial journalist formally – and finally – parted ways with NBC News on Friday night, nearly three months after she stirred controversy by defending the use of blackface in Halloween costumes on her Oct. 23 show.
"The parties have resolved their differences, and Megyn Kelly is no longer an employee of NBC," the network told USA TODAY in a statement.
A rep for Kelly did not immediately respond to USA TODAY.
Financial terms were not disclosed, but according to CNN, NBC bowed to the terms of her contract and will pay Kelly the remaining sum of money, believed to total about $30 million.
She will, however, be subject to an industry standard non-disparagement clause, limiting what she can say about her time at NBC and her interactions with the network executives, says CNN.
She is not believed to have a non-compete clause.
Throughout the holidays there was little more than silence over Kelly's high wattage exit.
Kelly, 48, has been missing in action for 11 weeks since the tearful, on-air apology she made following her on-air gaffe. Kelly apologized for saying that blackface was "OK when I was a kid as long as you were dressing like a character.” She had also defended a “Real Housewives” star who was slammed for donning blackface for a Diana Ross costume. "I was wrong and I'm sorry," said Kelly.
But her apology wasn’t enough to keep “Megyn Kelly Today” afloat. After two days of reruns, NBC canceled her 9 a.m. hour of the “Today” show on Oct. 23. The following Monday, her former colleagues stepped in to replace her.
The conservative network proved a good fit for Kelly where she soared in the ratings. She graduated from being a co-host on “America’s Newsroom” to earning her own daytime show, “America Live,” and eventually moved to the channel’s primetime lineup with “The Kelly File.”
Prior to her departure in January 2017, Kelly was giving then-Fox News favorite host Bill O’Reilly a run for his money in the ratings department. (Three months afterward, he too was gone, ousted in a sexual misconduct scandal, leaving the network to fill not one but two of its most heavily-watched timeslots.)
But she was unable to replicate her Fox News success at NBC. On Kelly’s watch, ratings the 9 a.m. hour of "Today" shed 400,000 viewers, or 13 percent of its audience, compared to when the show was previously hosted by Al Roker and Tamron Hall. Even more disconcerting for the network’s most valuable franchise, her numbers were down 25 percent with viewers aged 25-54, the key demographic for TV news.
Instead of reeling in viewers, Kelly more often made headlines for her eyebrow-raising comments, such as when she asked Jane Fonda about her past plastic surgery or when she implied being gay is a choice by asking a “Will and Grace” fan if he became both a lawyer and gay because of the popular show.
Kelly’s next move is up in the air. The lawyer and mother of three has been on the air in one capacity or another since 2003. “You’ll definitely see me back on (television),” Kelly told TMZ just this week when caught on the street in New York City.
Meanwhile, she has already written a tell-all book (“Settle for More,” released in 2016), and Fox News has implied it’s not interested in bringing her back. In her book, which was published while she was still at Fox News, Kelly insisted that there was more to life than her career, and she noted she could overcome a massive career blow.
“I love my job and the excitement and challenges it offers," she wrote. "But my job does not define me. If this job ended tomorrow I'd find another way to find that glorious feeling of accomplishment. No employer or career choice ‘made’ me. I made me.”
Contributing: Andrea Mandell
This article originally appeared on USA TODAY: Megyn Kelly is officially out at NBC; what will her next move be?