Mentally ill Mansfield mom who drowned her 1-year-old still on the run from authorities

·4 min read

It has been just a little over seven years since Valeria Maxon walked out of a residential treatment facility in south Fort Worth, and she has never returned.

The 47-year-old Mansfield mother had been in the mental-health facility since 2008, when she was found not guilty by reason of insanity of drowning her toddler son and ordered into treatment.

She walked out of the Fort Worth facility in October 2014, and Tarrant County authorities have not caught up to her.

A warrant remained active on Wednesday for Maxon.

In 2010, her husband, Michael Maxon, was indicted on a charge of abandonment because, despite warnings from mental-health professionals not to leave his wife alone with their son, he did so for about an hour and a half, according to testimony in his trial.

He was convicted, and at the time was believed to be the first Texas husband held criminally responsible for the actions of his mentally ill wife. He was sentenced to 10 years in prison and served five months in jail, but in September 2014 was placed on probation for 10 years.

Tarrant County authorities could not be reached Wednesday for comment because of the pending holiday.

Valeria Maxon was living in Moldova, in eastern Europe, when she met her husband, Michael Maxon, through a dating service, according to testimony in her 2008 trial.

She moved to the United States, and on June 12, 2005, their son, Alex, was born. In March 2006, they learned that Alex was developmentally delayed, and soon after, Valeria Maxon’s mental health began deteriorating.

“She became more and more anxious about Alex,” psychologist Randy Price testified during Maxon’s capital murder trial in 2008. “She wasn’t able to sleep and was extremely concerned about him and she began to develop delusional thoughts.”

An arrest warrant affidavit for Michael Maxon outlined Valeria Maxon’s mental illness and what happened the day the boy died. Here are details from the affidavit:

March and April 2006 — In March, doctors said 9-month-old Alex was underdeveloped. Valeria Maxon began having panic attacks every few hours, her husband wrote in notes that were later collected by police. Their lives became “unmanageable,” and he had to leave his job at an Arlington-based magazine.

June 2006 — Michael Maxon wanted his wife to attend the Biocybernaut Institute in California, which advertises a focus on a connection between spiritual development and brain waves.

She attended one day of treatment and then refused to return, according to the affidavit. Michael Maxon took Valeria’s place at the institute.

June 6, 2006 — Valeria tried to commit suicide by overdosing on prescription medications. California medical records stated that Michael Maxon was advised not to leave his wife alone with the baby until she had been hospitalized and stabilized. He told the medical staff that she would be under continuous supervision by him or her sister. When they returned to Texas, Valeria went back to a Dallas psychiatric hospital, where she was diagnosed with “bipolar disorder, most recent episode depressed with psychotic features.” She was discharged June 16, 2006, with a warning that she not be left alone for several days.

June 30, 2006 — Michael Maxon told police he left the house to run errands and was gone about 1 1/2 hours.

Valeria Maxon believed that she was a witch and that her 1-year-old son, Alex, was the Antichrist, authorities said. She was certain that her only child was possessed by the devil, was dying and would start the Apocalypse and bring about the end of the world.

Soon, according to psychologists who examined Maxon, she became convinced that water was the only thing that could keep the evil spirits away and save the world.

So on June 30, 2006, while her husband was out running errands, Maxon put her son in the hot tub in the back yard of their Mansfield home and let him drown.

When he returned, his wife told him she allowed Alex to drown in the hot tub and that he had been dead about an hour. He found the boy on the couple’s bed, cold and not breathing.

He called her family in Eastern Europe, and she talked with them for about 10 minutes. He put away groceries and clothes he had picked up from the cleaners. He put the cover back on the hot tub and called a business partner to explain what happened, then called 911.

After her trial in 2008, Valeria Maxon spent a few years in state mental hospital and then was released to community outpatient treatment. She left the residential treatment facility in far south Fort Worth a few weeks after arriving in August 2014.

This report contains information from Fort Worth Star-Telegram archives.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting