Meriden man arrested, charged with murder after fatal October shootout in New Britain

Zach Murdock, Hartford Courant

A 21-year-old Meriden man has been charged with murder after an early morning shootout in October in New Britain left another man dead in front a crowd of his friends and family.

Quincey Kamal Carraway was arrested Monday on a warrant charging him murder and carrying a pistol without a permit, police announced Tuesday evening. He was held on $1 million bond.

Carraway is accused of gunning down 20-year-old Courtney Jones early in the morning of Oct. 11 outside a shopping center on Stanley Street after Jones gathered with friends and family at nearby Willow Street Park, according to an arrest warrant affidavit.

The two men argued and then exchanged gunfire before Carraway sped from the scene in a rented Nissan Rogue while Jones collapsed in the parking lot, court records show. The Rogue was found a few hours later torched in an East Hartford apartment complex parking lot, burned completely to its frame.

The entire confrontation and shootout was captured by nearby security cameras, which recorded the Nissan Rogue pull up to the Stanley Street parking lot just after 3 a.m., police said.

The driver’s side window rolled down, revealing Carraway in the driver’s seat, and security cameras capture what detectives believed to be an argument between Carraway and Jones with several other people involved and pulling Jones away from the vehicle, according to the warrant affidavit.

The Rogue then pulled away, only to immediately turn around and pull to a stop in the parking lot, where Carraway leaves the car and comes face-to-face with Jones, both of whom are holding handguns, the security camera footage showed.

Carraway raised his firearm to Jones’ head before returning to the Rogue to take cover while Jones positioned himself behind a nearby pillar, according to the warrant affidavit.

“Based on video, it is clearly Quincey Carraway who fires first,” Detective Adam Capowski wrote in the affidavit. “Courtney Jones immediately jumps and flees south across the parking lot, firing back at Quincey Carraway, before collapsing next to a white Mazda CX9.”

The Rogue and Carraway fled the scene while an off-duty state trooper who happened to be nearby rendered aid to Jones before he was transported to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead less than an hour later, police said.

New Britain police found eight 9mm shell casings near where the shooter behind the Rogue was firing and two .40-caliber casings near where Jones was seen returning fire, police said.

In the days after the shooting, detectives tried to track down the Rogue and discovered it had been rented by a woman in a relationship with Carraway and security camera footage from the rental shop showed both were present when she rented it, according to the affidavit.

GPS data for the car showed it was in New Britain hours before the murder and in East Hartford a few hours later, where they found out firefighters had been called to extinguish a burning car less than two hours after the shooting, records show. The identification number on the charred frame matched that of the shooter’s car at the scene of Jones’ death.

Multiple people told investigators they believed the shooter was named Quincey, but several refused to cooperate — or outright misrepresented what had happened compared to the security footage — and only one identified Carraway in a photo array, according to the affidavit.

However, a relative of Jones called one of the investigators two days after the shooting to alert police that Jones’ friends “were being intentionally uncooperative with police because they are conspiring to find Quincey Carraway and kill him themselves,” Capowski wrote in the affidavit.

Instead, investigators obtained an arrest warrant charging Carraway with the murder and arrested him Monday, police said.

Zach Murdock can be reached at