Good morning, neighbors! Merry Christmas to all who celebrate. Wishing you the happiest day. I am Carlos Hernandez here again with today's edition of the Orlando Daily.
First, today's weather:
Pleasant with plenty of sun. High: 78 Low: 57.
Rent this space:
Are you a local business owner or marketer in Orlando? We love showcasing trusted businesses who can solve problems for our amazing local readers. Learn more here.
Here are the top five stories today in Orlando:
1. A selection of grocery and convenience stores are open on Christmas Day for last-minute shopping trips in Florida. Patch has a full list on which stores are open and what their hours will be during the holiday (Patch Orlando)
2. Central Florida water parks have reopened after briefly being closed this week due to cooler temperatures in Florida. Volcano Bay and Aquatica reopened Thursday while Blizzard Beach was closed. (Spectrum News 13)
3. Two people were killed, and three others were hospitalized after an early Friday morning crash near Kissimmee, according to the Florida Highway Patrol. Troopers said five people were inside of a 2017 Kia when it crashed into the Golden Link Hotel. (WFTV)
4. The Houston Ballet Company is auditioning in Orlando on Saturday, January 29th, 2022. It offers a five-week program for dancers ages 12 to 17 years of age. (Bungalower)
5. Crowds of people gathered at Cocoa Beach on Christmas Eve to watch as surfing Santas made waves on the coast. Former NFL quarterback Doug Flutie jumped out of a helicopter and into the ocean to kick off the event. (Click Orlando)
Today in Orlando:
Christmas Day Brunch at American Kitchen. (8:00 AM)
Funspot Orlando's HUGE Christmas. (10:00 AM)
Tapa Toro's Christmas Day Celebration. (10:30 AM)
Christmas Day Paddle at Lake Ivanhoe Boat Ramp. (11:00 AM)
Ugly Sweater Party at Boardwalk Bowl. (6:00 PM)
From my notebook:
Florida reached its daily COVID-19 case record on Friday, with more than 31,700 new infections. (NBC Miami)
Frosty Fox is now open in Baldwin Park. It is offering mocktails + egg puffles as a highlight. (Instagram)
Orlando Science Center will be closed for today but will resume normal business hours beginning at 10:00 a.m. on December 26th. (Instagram)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Save 15 Percent On FTD’s Christmas Collection (December 25)
A Killer Beaz New Year’s Eve- 2 Dinner & Show seatings (December 31)
Loving the Orlando Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
Send a friend or neighbor this link so they can subscribe
Get your local business featured in front of readers
Send me a news tip or suggestion at email@example.com
You're all caught up for today. I'll catch up with you bright and early tomorrow with another update!
— Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.