MIAMI GARDENS — The Dolphins entered Friday with three practices left before heading to Tampa for joint practices and a preseason opener.
"There'll be, you know, starters that end up playing in pre season (game) one," McDaniel said. "There'll be starters that won't."
McDaniel noted that while reps for top players are important, "You're also trying to figure out who is going to be on your team, we take that very serious."
McDaniel said that center/guard Michael Deiter (foot) is not far away from a return.
The fascination with all things Tua: Tom Brady, marriage and deep balls
Embarrassment for franchise: Dolphins violations of NFL integrity
Matching wits in practice: Dolphins play-callers Mike McDaniel, Josh Boyer
Here are some things we noticed in practice:
* Terron Armstead, Tyreek Hill and Chase Edmonds returned to practice after some workload management.
* Andrew Van Ginkel wore an orange jersey as Wednesday's practice player of day.
* There are officials at Miami Dolphins practice today. 2021 penalty leaders: Austin Jackson 13, Liam Eichenberg 7, Robert Hunt 6, Justin Coleman 5. Connor Williams 14 with Cowboys. Terron Armstead 3 with Saints. All stats via NFLPenalties.com.
* Jaelan Phillips continues to make plays, showing continued growth.
* Teddy Bridgewater connected in the middle of the field with Tyreek Hill, who continues to catch everything and elicit "oohs" and "ahhs" from the crowd.
* Hill dunked the football after a 6-yard touchdown catch from Tua in a red zone drill.
* Porter Gustin had a sack of Teddy Bridgewater.
* Braylon Sanders caught a long pass from Bridgewater.
This article originally appeared on Palm Beach Post: Miami Dolphins Training Camp: Practice 8 recap