Michigan prosecutors have charged the teen suspect in the year's deadliest U.S. shooting as an adult.
Ethan Crumbley, a 15-year-old high school sophomore in Oxford, Michigan, about 40 miles north of Detroit, was charged with first degree murder and a slew of other criminal counts on Wednesday.
Crumbley opened fire on his classmates earlier this week, killing at least four students and wounding several others.
Oakland County Prosecuting Attorney Karen McDonald spoke to prosecutors on Wednesday:
“We are charging this individual with one count of terrorism causing death, four counts of first-degree murder, seven counts of assault with intent to murder, and 12 counts of possession of a firearm in the commission of a felony.”
Authorities say Crumbley used a semi-automatic handgun - which his father had purchased four days earlier.
Sheriff Michael Bouchard said officials have found no link between the suspect and the victims.
“Does not seem to be any connection, and based on what I saw in the video it appears to be random.”
The Sheriff said school officials had contact with Crumbley the day before the shooting and another meeting with him and his parents the morning of for concerning behavior in the classroom.
The sheriff told CNN on Wednesday that Crumbley intended to kill people – saying he fired at least 30 shots at close range, often aiming at people’s heads and chests, and added (quote), “It’s just absolutely coldhearted murders."
The community held a vigil Tuesday night for three of the students killed – the fourth died on Wednesday.