Mike Pence to continue campaigning despite ‘close contact' with chief of staff who tested positive for Covid-19

Danielle Zoellner
·1 min read
Mike Pence has tested negative after his chief of staff tested positive for Covid-19 on Saturday (AP)
Mike Pence has tested negative after his chief of staff tested positive for Covid-19 on Saturday (AP)

Vice President Mike Pence has planned to continue his aggressive campaign schedule despite his chief of staff, whom he’s been in close contact with, testing positive for the coronavirus on Saturday.

Mr Pence has since tested negative, his office said. But the Centres of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) would designate the vice president’s chief of staff, Marc Short, as a “close contact”, which would mean Mr Pence should quarantine.

“Vice President Pence and Mrs. Pence both tested negative for Covid-19 today, and remain in good health,” Spokesperson Devin O’Malley said, the New York Times first reported.

“While Vice President Pence is considered a close contact with Mr. Short, in consultation with the White House Medical Unit, the vice president will maintain his schedule in accordance with the CDC guidelines for essential personnel,” he added.

The guidelines for essential personnel require them to monitor for any Covid-19 symptoms and wear masks around people when unable to keep socially distanced. The White House did not comment on how Mr Pence’s campaign duties amounted to essential work.

It was reported earlier on Saturday that Martin Obst, a political adviser to the Vice President, also tested positive, according to Bloomberg News.

More follows …