MMA Fighter From CT Dies After Recent Bout: CT News

Good Wednesday morning Connecticut,

An amazing weather day today, sunshine and 60 degrees, rain is forecast for Thursday afternoon, sunshine and 70 degrees on Friday. Saturday looks rainy, and Sunday looks sunny and a bit cooler with temperatures in the low 50s.

CT MMA fighter dies after a recent bout

Sad news to share this morning. Christian Lubenga, 27, an MMA fighter from Connecticut, died after injuries sustained during a competition held in West Springfield, Mass. this past weekend, Fox 61 reported.

The cause of death has not been released and is under investigation, according to authorities. Lubenga was knocked out in the third round and taken to the hospital afterward, Fox 61 reported. He trained in Orange, CT. This was his debut MMA fight, Fox 61 reported.

In a social media post, Black Wolf Martial Arts of Orange, posted, "We are at a loss (for) words. This is what a nightmare looks like…. It can't even be properly articulated with words and on a social media post, nonetheless. We wanted to give the family some time to make their own decisions about how to go public with this before we spoke on it, out of respect. While we ourselves are grieving, and it’s difficult to even type this out, we felt it appropriate to take a moment to say a few things."

"Christian wasn’t just any student. Christian was the kind of human who brought life and light into any room he walked into. Christian was our family. We shared laughs, stories, blood, sweat, tears. He’s the kind of person I aspire to be like, and I wish more people were like him. Polite, professional, humble, always kind to everyone no matter what. We spent hundreds of thousands of hours together doing the things we were passionate about. Christian was a true martial artist in every aspect of the word and a true warrior. We love you, Christian. We all love you."

Read More at Fox 61.

Here are some of the top news stories trending across Connecticut:

Judge Hasn't Worked In 2 Years, Collects $350K In Salary: Report

New info in the case of a Connecticut superior court judge who hasn't worked in two years has been released, the Hartford Courant reported.>>>Read More.

Dog Thrown From Truck, $1.5K Offered For Info; Adoption Offers Pour In

An advocacy group is offering a reward for info on the person who threw a bulldog out of a pickup truck following a botched surgery.>>>Read More.

CT State Police Fire 8 Recruits

About 13 percent of the Connecticut State Police academy class was terminated following an investigation.>>>Read More.

Police Officer Investigated In 2 Racist Incidents

A police officer was charged in connection with one of the incidents.>>>Read More.

CT TV News Station Adds New Reporter To Its Ranks

He joins the news station from New York.>>>Read More.

Flags lowered to half-staff

Gov. Ned Lamont announced that he is directing U.S. and state flags in Connecticut lowered to half-staff from sunrise to sunset on Friday, March 18, in honor of Rocky Hill Fire Captain James Lamarre, who died in the line of duty as a result of work-related cancer. Funeral services are scheduled to be held on Friday at 10 a.m. at St. James Church in Rocky Hill.

Lamarre served the Rocky Hill Fire Department for 27 years. A veteran of the U.S. Army, he was very active in the Benino-Beck VFW Post 2138 in Rocky Hill, serving as chaplain.

“Captain Lamarre’s passing is a terrible reminder of the dangers firefighters face throughout their careers in the name of public service and the protection of others,” Lamont said. “First responders like Captain Lamarre embody the best of our state and our country. On behalf of the State of Connecticut, I send my condolences to his family, friends, and colleagues in the Rocky Hill Fire Department and Benino-Beck VFW Post 2138. I ask the residents of our state to keep him and his family in your prayers.”

Coronavirus update

The most recent infection rate in the state is 2.88 percent, and the number of hospitalizations as a result of COVID-19 keeps dropping and is currently at 113.

Of the 113 patients currently hospitalized with laboratory-confirmed COVID-19, 42 (37.2%) are not fully vaccinated.

This article originally appeared on the Milford Patch