The Chicago Housing Authority and the Cook County Department of Public Health have partnered to getting seniors in public housing vaccinated through mobile clinics.
VENIS FRAZIER: Today, we're at Maria Diaz Martinez apartments. And we've been hosting our COVID-19 vaccines at all of our senior properties. And we have 44 across the city. And we have about 46 or so seniors registered to get vaccinated today, which is amazing.
- I'm kind of happy that we're getting it done and kind of a little nervous. First time I had gotten a shot.
- First time ever getting a shot?
- Yeah, I haven't gotten too many shots like this. It's kind of exciting in a way. But it's good. I'm glad we're getting it.
- I took a good shot today already. So I'm kind of nervous with taking this shot.
- Now I don't ever like to have shots. But I feel I have to get it. If the doctors say it, and they are doctors. They are doctors. They know what's right and what's wrong. I'm taking the shot.
VENIS FRAZIER: We've been partnering with the Chicago Department of Health, and they coordinated strike teams.
MELINA FREEMAN-MILES: We think that it's important that for their mental health, as well as their physical health, that they have the vaccine as soon as possible. So we can return to some form of normalcy.
- Do you think the people are feeling excited about getting vaccinated?
ROBERT SCOTT: Oh, heck yes. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. This is the beginning of a renewal where we can go out now. That we don't have to be scared that I got to stay away from you.
MELINA FREEMAN-MILES: I had a lady not too long ago, I believe she was about 102 years old, she was so excited that she actually did a fist pump to me and said, hit me with it, Baby.
VENIS FRAZIER: We're really happy that we had the opportunity to bring it to our buildings. When you think of seniors, the technology of them signing up and even getting there and then having to wait in those lines, It's not senior-friendly, as I like say. We're in our third week of vaccines. We should have everyone vaccinated by third, fourth week of April.