More snow could fall in Charlotte region later this week. Here’s the latest forecast

Jeff Siner/jsiner@charlotteobserver.com
·2 min read

The Charlotte region is facing a 60% chance of more snow later in the week, according to the National Weather Service.

It could start falling as a rain/snow mix Thursday night, and continue into Saturday morning, forecasters say.

As road cleanup continues, Charlotte and NC officials keep an eye on snow in forecast

By Friday night, up to 2 inches of snow could be on the ground in Charlotte, NWS meteorologist Doug Outlaw told the Observer on Tuesday. No ice is expected, but this could change considering the structure of the atmosphere and amount of cold air, he said.

The high Friday could be only 31 degrees — just below freezing — while the low that night may be 23 degrees, officials said.

“A cold front will cross the region Wednesday night through Thursday,” NWS forecasters said in a tweet.

“A low pressure system may develop along the front ... and spread precipitation back over the cold air. ... A mix of snow, sleet and freezing rain could develop from Friday into Saturday, but uncertainty remains very high at present.”

News of snow chances come just days after Mecklenburg County got snowfall ranging from a trace in the southern part of the county to 3.2 inches in the Lake Norman area.

Snowfall in the mountains was highest near the Tennessee border, where 20.5 inches fell in spots, according to NWS officials.

Forecasters say the wet weather will start after dark Wednesday, with a 30% chance of rain and lows near 40. Rain chances increase to 70% on Thursday.

A transition to snow will happen later that night, as temperatures drop to 27 degrees, forecasters say.

Warmer temperatures — above freezing — are forecast for Saturday, with a high of 38.

Unlike the ice and sleet this past weekend, any snow on Friday should melt much quicker, Outlaw said.

“Freezing rain melts terribly, but pure snow melts very quickly if you have temperatures above freezing,” he said.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting