An adjuster assessed the damages and told the mother that repairs would take two months, leaving her to find housing for herself and two young children.
SEQUOIA PHILLIPS: I don't know where to start. It's like, where do you start? I have family telling me you've got to salvage what you can, but I'm like, salvage what I can? What do I pack? Where do I start? Salvage what?
- Sequoia Philips is having to start all over again. She came home Wednesday after staying at a hotel due to the power outages, and found her home falling apart.
SEQUOIA PHILLIPS: We got the water off. While I'm literally outside, I hear my house just falling apart. I just heard boom, crashes.
Oh my God, it's everywhere!
- Broken pipes and water damage in every room.
SEQUOIA PHILLIPS: This right here is my older son's bedroom.
- In her 12-year-old son's room, the ceiling collapsed, ruining his bed, clothes, and books.
SEQUOIA PHILLIPS: And then here's my younger son's room. I was able to clean out his-- he has a big hole, and the ceiling had collapsed and came through his closet.
- Devastating damage, and she does not have renter's insurance. An adjuster told Phillips all the pipes throughout the house have to be replaced. At minimum, it would take two months.
SEQUOIA PHILLIPS: I have a family member who is staying out of town, or who's out of town, so they're letting me stay at their place. But once they get-- so I'm trying to use that time to find where I'm going to go. I was in a hotel for a couple of days, but I'm a single mom. I can't afford to stay in a hotel for two months. So I don't know, we-- I'm going to use this time to find out where we're going to stay.
- Phillips is just one of the many Texans who is in desperate need of help. FEMA is now offering emergency relief aid to residents in 77 counties, including Harris County, that were impacted by the severe weather. It includes grants for temporary housing, home repairs, and covers uninsured property costs. Those who qualify can register online, or by calling the number on your screen.
- Florida sending in an incident management team to help. I've had calls from California, Idaho, all of our surrounding states. We go and help them during disaster, they want to come and help us.
- Until more help arrives, Phillips has set up a GoFundMe page, and is cleaning up and trying to figure out what to do next.
SEQUOIA PHILLIPS: Everything is gone. Gone. Nothing. I have nothing.