🌱 Mummy Ride Hits 100 Million + 2026 FIFA World Cup Pitch
Happy Thursday, neighbors! Let's get this day started off right. Here's everything you need to know about what's happening in town today.
First, today's weather:
Times of clouds and sun. High: 81 Low: 66.
Here are the top stories today in Orlando:
1. Publix heiress and former board member Carol Jenkins Barnett has died at age 65. She was diagnosed with younger-onset Alzheimer’s disease in 2016. She served on the Publix board of directors from 1983 to 2006. A memorial service is planned for 11 a.m. on Saturday, December 11th in Lakeland. (Patch Lakeland)
2. Universal Orlando announced that the Revenge of the Mummy ride has claimed the souls of 100 million riders, a new milestone. The popular ride will close in January for maintenance and reopen in summer 2022. (Attractions Magazine)
3. No traces of the omicron variant were detected in Altamonte Springs, based on a sample taken from the sewage on Monday. The city manager emphasized the importance of conducting tests like these to track the spread of COVID-19 in the local community. (Click Orlando)
4. Brevard County is working on new training for county workers after several complaints of racially insensitive behavior. The president of Brevard County Professional Firefighters Local 2969 says the union always supports increased training. (WESH)
5. Florida’s business-recruitment agency Wednesday put $10 million into the pitch to help Orlando and Miami become host cities for the 2026 FIFA World Cup soccer tournament. The effort is being led by the Greater Orlando Sports Commission and the Greater Miami Convention and Visitors Bureau. (Fox 35 Orlando)
Today's Orlando Daily is brought to you in part by Newrez, a leading nationwide mortgage lender. Make a smart move for your future and refinance with Newrez today. Call 844-979-1707 to connect with a Newrez loan officer. Newrez, LLC (NMLS #3013)
Today in Orlando:
Drink & Eat Free for Nat'l Llama Day at World of Beer Downtown Orlando. (11:00 AM)
Mayor Buddy's Book Club End of Book Party. (4:00 PM)
Varsity Girls Soccer vs Cornerstone. (6:00 PM)
Band Concert - Boone High School. (7:00 PM)
A Holiday Homecoming - Central Florida Community Arts. (7:30 PM)
From my notebook:
Nature Conservancy in Florida: "Congratulations to Bonnie Masdeu for winning honorable mention in the Nature Inspires Art Contest! Bonnie’s piece, titled Wading Great Egret was selected to win honorable mention among artwork from fifteen counties across Florida. You ca..." (Instagram)
Orlando Food & Travel Guide: "@orlandocattlebaronsball has been a signature event for over 20 years dazzling guests from the Greater Orlando area. This past Saturday, the 22nd annual @orlandocattlebaronsball benefiting @americancancersociety at @rosenshinglecreek bro..." (Instagram)
Central Florida Zoo: "We received a special message from the North Pole! Santa Claus will be visiting guests on December 17 and December 22 during Asian Lantern Festival: Into the Wild. You can grab tickets for the festival on those nights on our website...." (Instagram)
Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer: "Get ready, Orlando! Garth Brooks, the #1-selling solo artist in U.S. history is coming to our Camping World Stadium for the first time on March 26. This in-the-round concert under the stars will be the only Florida stop on his stadium to..." (Facebook)
Orlando Science Center: "If you really dig dinosaurs, stomp by Orlando Science Center for a dino-mite December! See our dazzling Dinos in Lights festive light show, drop in on the Poozeum and explore the fascinating world of coprolites and dino dung, or take a..." (Instagram)
From our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Orlando, save with Sam's Club Membership & Donate 25% to end Hunger! (December 12)
Now you're in the loop and ready to start this Thursday! I'll be in your inbox tomorrow morning with a new update. If you're feeling these newsletters, consider inviting some of your friends and neighbors to follow along. You can send them this link to subscribe.
— Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Orlando Daily? I'm all ears. You can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This article originally appeared on the Orlando Patch