Munich power outage affecting 20,000 homes is blamed on extremists

·1 min read

A power outage that affected thousands in Munich this weekend is under investigation after authorities blamed it on left-wing extremists.

An arson investigation is underway following the outage, which left about 20,000 households dark overnight following a fire early Friday, authorities told dpa International Saturday.

A unit with a focus on crimes linked to politics is handling the investigation.

“Political motives could be in play when you’re dealing with burning supply lines,” a police spokesman told the outlet, adding that since the investigation is still in the early stages, neither arson nor a potential motive can be declared yet.

The fire started at a construction site where roughly 50 power cables run and subsequently knocked out 150 relay stations.

Arson is suspected because of the fire pattern in the 3-foot pit where the cables ran, the spokesman told the outlet.

“At this stage, we can not say whether there are connections with other crimes,” he said.

Power had been restored to all affected homes by Saturday afternoon.

If authorities’ gut that the fire was the result of arson is correct, the incident would be the most recent attack on Munich infrastructure, which, since late 2019, has been damaged by unidentified culprits, according to the outlet.

The damage preceding the fire has totaled the equivalent of $4.4 million.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting