Murder charges dropped against man accused of shooting girlfriend’s brother

William Lee, Chicago Tribune

Prosecutors dropped a murder charge Tuesday against a man they say shot to death his girlfriend’s brother when he started beating her after she shot one of his tires in a confrontation in the Homan Square neighborhood over the weekend.

Levoid Oglesby-Williams, 28, of Waukesha, Wisconsin, no longer faces a murder charge, but he and Yerica Nickelson, 28, of St. Louis, both face weapons charges in the killing of her brother, Timothy R. Nickelson, 32, of Milwaukee. Timothy Nickelson was shot about 4:55 a.m. Sunday in the 1100 block of South Homan Avenue, according to police. All three came to Chicago over the weekend to attend a party, prosecutors said.

Oglesby-Williams shot Timothy Nickelson after he started beating Yerica Nickelson, Oglesby-Williams’ girlfriend, when she shot one of his tires, prosecutors said Tuesday as they informed Cook County Judge Mary Marubio they were dropping the murder charge.

Oglesby-Williams, Yerica Nickelson and her brother all came down from Wisconsin for a party Saturday in two separate cars, Assistant State’s Attorney James Murphy said. They all attended the party with Timothy Nickelson’s girlfriend. All had been drinking alcohol at the party.

After the party, Yerica Nickelson and Oglesby-Williams wanted to drive back to Wisconsin, but Timothy Nickelson wanted to sleep at his girlfriend’s home in Chicago. Yerica Nickelson demanded her brother pay money for gas and tolls, and she wanted more than the $20 he gave her, Murphy said.

On the 1100 block of South Homan a little before 5 a.m., Yerica Nickelson shot one of the tires of her brother’s car, Murphy said. This led to a brief shoving match, then Timothy Nickelson took off his sweatshirt, charged his sister and punched her repeatedly.

Oglesby-Williams pulled out a handgun and shot Timothy Nickelson four times, Murphy said.

Both guns were legally purchased by Nickelson, a certified nurse’s assistant who had a Wisconsin concealed carry license, Murphy said. Oglesby-Williams has a felony record in Wisconsin and can’t legally own a gun.

The brother and sister previously had been involved in a domestic dispute, Murphy said. Yerica Nickelson told detectives that her boyfriend said he was sick of “her brother” putting his hands on her, Murphy said.

Police initially said that Timothy Nickelson was wounded while standing on a sidewalk when a man came up to him and shot him in the left leg. He was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, in what police initially described as serious condition, according to a police media notification from Sunday morning. Police did not acknowledge Timothy Nickelson’s death publicly until they issued a news release making public that Oglesby-Williams and Yerica Nickelson had been charged.

Police initially had said no one was in custody in Timothy Nickelson’s shooting, but a release Tuesday said that Oglesby-Williams and Yerica Nickelson were arrested together in the 3300 block of West Harrison Street at 5:10 a.m. Sunday.

Both Yerica Nickelson and Oglesby-Williams were ordered held in lieu of $10,000 bail each and both were allowed to travel to their home state pending trial if they are released on bond.